Water pump too loud!?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello Everyone! The Svartpilen 401 is my first liquid cooled motorcycle. So far I put ca. 60 miles on it. I rode mostly on cooler days (October – March timeframe). Yesterday was the first “warmer” day in Chicago and in city traffic the water pump kicked in quite regularly. When you are on the bike the noise of the pump doesn’t seem to be overly loud. But when I put the bike back into the garage I had the motor running for a bit longer. I got off the bike took my helmet off etc. and heard the pump kicking in. I was surprised how loud the pump is when you are a couple steps away and not wearing a helmet. Is this normal or should I check with my dealer?

Luwys007Luwys007
    Participant

nope, these bike are notorious for having loud as hell fans… i get called out on it sometimes on group rides its kinda annoying… lol

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Hi, I might be wrong but I think you mean radiator fan and not water pump. I’m pretty sure that the water pump is driven directly from the engine and runs all the time that the engine itself is running. You can’t hear it.

But, the radiator fan kicks in and out and is electrically powered and you can definitely hear that. It is quite loud. Actually you can hear the radiator fans when they are running on most water-cooled motorbikes, due to the exposed nature of the mechanical parts on bikes and their relatively close proximity to the rider. KTM (and hence Husqvarna) bikes do seem to have particularly loud fans, it’s normal and nothing to worry about.

It is possible to have quieter electric fans, but they are more expensive (just look at PC case fans for comparison) and the components on the Indian made 401’s are generally of a rather cheap nature.

Participant

Thanks for the feedback and the clarification that the noise is coming  from the fan not from the pump.

Participant

I’ve had the same issue, it’s embarrassing. Never hear my friends bikes, but my fan comes on all the time, no rhyme or reason, not timed. And it’s loud.

Anyone have a hack or fix for this.

Participant

A fix? Have a bottle of water handy and pour it over the engine every now and then to prevent it from kicking in 😛

But yeah, mine is just at 250km and its the same. After a longer ride when you stop for a little break it just kicks in and catches all the attention. I dont mind it tho.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I’m wondering if a richer engine tune/map would lower engine temps at all? I’ve read on here that folks say the 401’s run very lean, and a lean engine is a hot running one. Even the oil spec of 20W50 suggests a hot running engine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.