Water bubbling from exhaust rivet

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Has anyone else had this happen? Bike has done 120 miles from new and I’ve noticed this recently when the bike is idling.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by AvatarVitsluman.
    Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Cold engine, right after starting it up? Looks like condensation, and I wouldn’t worry about it as long as the rivets don’t rattle…

Participant

Yup, that’s exactly it. Rivets seem OK, I’ll just keep an eye on it. Thanks.

Ade

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I posted about this in the thread about removing the dB killer from the stock end can.

The factory use the cheaper unsealed (standard) rivets in the stock exhaust systems. For a vehicle with a supposedly Euro-compliant emissions system, this is very bad practise. Reputable aftermarket exhaust manufacturers such as Akra and Yoshimura use the correct blind (sealed) rivets which means that the rivetted joint is gastight. All parts of the emission system (except for the actual exhaust exit hole/s) should be gastight. So on our stock ‘pilens when there is any dampness or condensation (common in exhaust systems) you can see the exhaust gases escaping through the unsealed rivets. There is a cure for this, and that is to drill out the cheap rivets and replace with proper gastight blind ones, but I’m not sure anyone would actually do this. I did look into buying some blind rivets for when I rivetted my exhaust can back together, but they are expensive, have large MOQs (Minimum Order Quantities) and long lead times.

Participant

I’ve had a similar problem on previous bikes but it’s never been as bad as this.

With the bike being so new I’m not sure I want to start drilling things out yet but I may look into that a bit further down the line.

Thanks for the advice 😊

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.