Vinyl wrap

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BeckpilenBeckpilen
    Participant

BeckpilenBeckpilen
    Participant

BeckpilenBeckpilen
    Participant

BeckpilenBeckpilen
    Participant

First of all, shoutout to YouTube for teaching laymen like me how to do things that pretty much require an apprenticeship. Vinyl wrap is not easy, especially over the weird hump on the fairings. I bought a $50(cad) roll of vvivid vinyl off of amazon and used my wife’s hair dryer to apply it. In total, I’d say it took around 5 hours to complete. The fairings are pretty simple to remove: take off the tank rack (4 bolts), remove the big round bolt at the bottom, and one small one under the seat. I’m not a huge fan of the neon stripes/accents so I opted for the tank pads. They are steel and have little prongs that stick out of the back. You need to drill corresponding holes in the plastic to install them. There’s not enough information on these parts to let a customer decide if they want to drill holes in the fairings before they buy them, nor do they come with a template or instruction.  Good luck lol. I dabbed the prongs with paint and touched it into position to mark the holes. I recommend drilling the holes a little bit larger than needed to give you some wiggle room so it lines up nicely. Also something to note that came as a surprise to me, as it’s hard to see from the product pictures online, is that the husqvarna logo is chrome (not white). I hope this info is useful to someone, and let me know if I can help with any other questions.

rod frostrod frost
    Participant

Good Job!!

Participant

bike looks great! love the camo. the grips are a nice touch too.

how do you like the luggage rack? how do you attach things to it? i’ve been eying it but can’t figure out how it works

BeckpilenBeckpilen
    Participant

To be honest, I got the luggage rack solely for aesthetics. You could use it to tie down a  small bag. I have ROK straps but the idea of something falling on the back and jamming, kind of makes me nervous (although I’ve never heard of that ever happening). It changes the look of the bike and I think it’s totally worth it.

407guy407guy
    Participant

Nice work Beckpilen!

Question for you: how difficult was it to shape the wrap around the “wings” on either side?

I see that and all those angles and curves and wonder the level of difficulty to apply.

Thanks for any info.

BeckpilenBeckpilen
    Participant

Hey 407guy,

it was pretty tough. I cheated a little and if you look at the second picture closely, you’ll notice that I made a seam right across the front of the wing. I’d never done anything like this before so I naively just started at the back end, working my way forward. When I got around the top and bottom of the wing with a hairdryer and a lot of stretching, I was left with a large amount bunched up. The only thing I could do was trim it off and try to make it look nice. Again, I have no idea what the proper procedure is. I think the proper way to do it would be to start on the flat spot (logo) and stretch outward.  Cheers.

407guy407guy
    Participant

Thanks Beckpilen.  It looks good, I’m impressed.  I tried once to wrap something (windscreen for my SV650 and it was a disaster).  Not sure I have the patience.  Once my Svartpilen 401 is in my garage (hopefully this Saturday) I may look into purchasing the black plastic pieces [ https://vitpilenforum.com/product/husqvarna-plastic-kit-black-401-vitpilen-svartpilen/ ] and give plasti-dip a try.  Just not sure about the durability especially where the legs tuck in by the tank area.

Thanks again.  It looks really good.

JordanJordan
    Participant

Great job on this. I want to try a DIY wrap on mine eventually and was curious on a couple questions. I’d love to just take it to a shop but it seems like prices for doing wraps are pretty crazy even for small jobs.

Do you think a solid color wrap would be easier to see imperfections than a pattern like camo? I’m considering looking for a grey camo or just a solid grey or white.

Any other tips you can pass on after doing this besides starting on the flat tank logo area? I’m excited to give this a try but a little nervous of it since it seems pretty tricky.

Thanks for the help,

Participant

Nice tunning!! a question for you: To get the luggage rack installed, Is it necessary to remove the rear hoop? or it just replace the back seat and thats all?

BeckpilenBeckpilen
    Participant

@alx blanco

do you mean the passenger handle? I’m not sure. It’s only 4 bolts that attach the handle to the underside. It was the first thing I did when I bought the bike because I didn’t like the way it looked. The rear rack clicks in just like the seat. Easy-peazy

Participant

I love the combination of tan grips and cami. Well done applying the vinyl yourself!

HALFTWINHALFTWIN
    Participant

klr

my klr wants to meet your Svarti

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.