Unpopular bike

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, i love my bike. But from what I’ve been reading it seems to have been a bit of a commercial flop. Any thoughts as to why? Guessing high price point turned off a lot of people?

Participant

In my country New Zealand at launch it was priced very high($18,000nzd) and then they dropped the price twice until it became $11,000 and that is when i brought my one. When they dropped the 19’s to 11k they sold out very quickly, even now the 2020 701’s are selling for roughly $12500 which i think is still a bargain.

I spoke to a dealer and they said to bring the 2020 701 into NZ all the dealers had to say how many they wanted and it had to add up to at least 40ish bikes(basically one container load) to make it happen. The 2020’s are coming here so i guess they have ordered at least a container load.

People who are buying them must be holding on to them as i very rarely see them for sale on the second hand market, i know there are a few that have become race bikes straight away.

NZ is not a huge bike market but i think it has been quite popular here.

Participant

They were too expensive to start with, they marketed them to the hipster crowd who didn’t have £9.5k to spend, they were all looking for CX500s to ruin with an angle grinder and some 1950s tyre designs 🙂 . Then they dropped the price…then dropped it again…then again. Imagine having bought at full price and 6 months later the retail price has gone from 9k to 5.5k? Dealers were selling (in the U.K.) new bikes for just over 5.5k at the end of 2019 season. That’s less than what a buyer might reasonably expect to have got second hand for a bike bought at 9K a year ago.

KTM have form in this though, they did the same with the RC8 and ended up blowing out cheap.

The question now is, with the low volumes sold, does this become a cult classic in future years, or an amusing oddity from the past?

Participant

Yeah, i think Husky will discontinue them in a few years, shame. Wonder if they’ll still have a go at a 901 like originally planned.

Participant

I believe Husky have already discontinued them (in production terms anyway), the 2020s are the last as I understand it. Most of the 2020s were made in late 2019 (as you’d expect) and they are using up a lot of the parts from the accessory bin…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by AvatarMelJ.
    VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Really? Maybe that means they are now working on the 501 parallel twin version as leaked in that image a while back that shows all the upcoming KTM and Husqvarna bikes for 2021 and beyond.

Participant

The spoked wheels and cnc pegs etc?

Participant

bad marketing, reliability issues documented on this forum, ugly dash (which I don’t mind but younger people who grew up on video games are used to colorful screens with different ride modes etc). I was really surprised they didn’t change the dash for 2020 as every youtube review of this bike mentions that.

@melj
    the 2020 model changes make sense in that context. the spoked wheels and footpegs were never really going to change the sales numbers much.

SvartGuySvartGuy
    Participant

At least in the US, Husky screwed a bunch of customers and dealers when they dropped the price from $12k to $9-9.5k, very little dealer support as well. I kick myself every single day for buying this bike because 2 months after I did it lost all of its value after the pice drop, plus I could have gotten a KTM 790 for a little over 10k (in my opinion a superior bike). But no I had to be “different” and get it for its looks.

The fuel tank recall isn’t helping their case either, I’ve read that some people have waited 4-5 months without being able to ride their bike due to lack of resolution at that point.

It’s sad cause they are great bikes, but this has been the worst way for Husky to get back into the street game.

Participant

The new 20s have the spoke wheels, the alloy pegs, the single exhaust hanger instead of pillion pegs, the pillion seat cover and maybe the mirrors too, can’t remember.  Seems to me like the parts no one bought…

Participant

Even if it’s a unpopular bike, and even if it’s discontinued… every owner loves driving it. I see it as an investment, in 20 years it will be a unique bike with very few owners. Than the price will go up as for collectors reasons.

I personally love my bike and will keep it as long as I live!

DuctTapeDuctTape
    Participant

I don’t see them getting discontinued any time soon, some thoughts:

1) KTM just launched new Vitpilen and Svartpilen 250 models in developing markets and the 200 series is coming up next. The 701 series (and 401 to a lesser degree) are aspirational models, and as long as KTM is planning on selling *pilens the 701s are here to stay.

2) Us complaining about prices going from $12k to $9.5k is cute. Eg. a 701 is $20,000 in South America (!). Again, for KTM the point is selling models they can scale, not having production issues in Austria. They will eventually sell the fixed numer of 701s they make one way or another.

3) Husqvarna sales were around 50,000 units in 2019, a brand that was literally resurrected a few years ago. To put that in perspective, that’s pretty much the same amount of bikes Ducati sold  in 2019 (!!). Different price points, of course, but if you really think the Husqvarna bet is not doing well for KTM, then think again.

I think this strategy makes sense for KTM as the “ready to race” motto can only get them so far. Still,  if they really want to position Husqvarna as Premium I agree they have a long way to go (at least if they want developed markets $$$, but I think it’s clear that’s not where they’re putting their eye at). Hopefully they’ll get there.

Anyway, just speculations from my side, let’s see!

Participant

@ducttape you say they sold 50,000 units in 2019, there were only 1500 vitpilen/svartpilen 2018-2020 701s in the US according to the recall documents, so most of those 50,000 must be from their dirt bikes.

DuctTapeDuctTape
    Participant

@NeoRetro I’m talking global numbers (eg: https://www.mcnews.com.au/pierer-mobility-ag-ktm-group-post-record-year/)

Let’s see what 2020 looks like

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.