Tweaks done so far… Svartpilen in Johannesburg

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Midnaite Midnaite 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ThemSheeps
    ThemSheeps
    Participant

Hi, all.

Here are some of the mods that I have done to the bike so far as well as my rating on the parts.

My favourite mod must be the headlight guard – the stock headlight is super expensive to replace, so the headlight guard gives me some comfort (albeit that an unlucky stone could still shatter the headlight). The headlight guard is probably the most radical change to the stock look as well:

Headlight Guard

In the picture above, the eagle-eyed of you will also be able to spot that there is an R&G radiator guard mounted. It seems to be doing its job brilliantly. No knicks or scratches even though it definitely had had a few stones hit it. My only complaint is the foam bits that keep a space between the radiator and the guard is quite light, so if you look closely, you can easily spot the foam bits through the radiator guard. Here is a better look at it:

radiator guard

Probably the most important tweak has been getting rid of the stock mirrors. With these bar end mirrors, the bike looks much better, but more importantly – I can finally actually see what is happening behind me. I chose the Oxford brand of universal bar end mirrors. They were dirt cheap and is actually really well made! I love them:

Bar end mirrors and tank bag

Also, in the image above you can see the Husky tank bag, it is not the most attractive tank bag in the world, but it actually functions really well. I have been caught out in the rain and without the rain cover, all the contents were still 100% dry. I wanted to fix it to the bike so I don’t need to take it off when I leave the bike parked somewhere. A few cable ties on the bottom strap seems to have done the trick. For something not to get knicked in Jo’burg is quite the testimony ;0)

The last bit of upgrade is the addition of the R&G frame sliders. I dropped the bike when I just got it as my foot went into a pothole at a stop sign. I got away with virtually no damage (phew), so I figured I should not tempt fate twice and get these installed. They are really solid – I have a lot of confidence that they will undoubtedly be a huge help if I were to have a bit of a slide… hopefully they never come into play though. My only gripe is that they don’t install 100% flush to the frame. No one would notice except for the owner, but if you know about it, it is a bit of an eye-sore:

R&G Frame Sliders

Finally, here is a view of the bike from the side with all the mods (you can also see that the sissy-bar is now fitted, I actually prefer the look of the bike with it and it is a really nice hand hold and extra protection in case of a tip-over):

the bike

Kind regards,

Johan

Midnaite
    Midnaite
    Participant

Nice !

I’m still waiting for my headlight guard and I’m thinking of adding the slider too.

did you mount them yourself?

I have the same mirrors, they are far better than the stock ones, you can actually see something 😀

Just a little bummer, there is a certain low RPM-speed where they vibrate like crazy.

ThemSheeps
    ThemSheeps
    Participant

Yeah – fit everything myself. The only part I needed assistance with was the radiator guard. As the instructions call for you to remove all 4 bolts holding the radiator in place, I got an assistant to hold it in place while I installed the first bolt.

As Revzilla would rate it, all the mods were a 1 beard on the beard scale of difficulty. ;0)

As for the mirrors, I luckily have no spots in the rev range with any visual vibrations – I was worried about that as you have to remove the bar end weights, but so far so good. They are really clear and has a great wide field of view.

Good luck with your future upgrades 👍🏼

Midnaite
    Midnaite
    Participant

F*ck, R&G doesn’t ship to France

BobcatHusky
    Participant

I’m installing some frame sliders from MNNTHBX. I’m not sure if they ship to France but it might be worth a shot. They have a few other Svartpilen accessories too. I ordered the rear fender eliminator and the LED bolts also.

Midnaite
    Midnaite
    Participant

I love their frender eleminator, a little too expensive maybe.

Macloven
    Participant

I love their frender eleminator, a little too expensive maybe”

having now built my own, just the cost of the various nuts, bolts, aluminum bars and plate holder come out pretty high. Plus the hours it took to get it the way I like it. I loved the project and enjoy building stuff, but I can understand their price and the MNNTHBX one seems like a pretty good value. I just ordered their frame sliders.

Midnaite
    Midnaite
    Participant

That’s want i’m thinking too, 😀

I plan to order it someday

BobcatHusky
    Participant

I just installed the MNNTHBX fender eliminator, the LED plate bolts, and frame sliders. I’ll take some pictures when it quits raining, but I really like all of the parts. The R&G was more expensive and I haven’t seen the Husky one from their website actually in stock for sale anywhere.

Ihsfb
    Participant

I have not seen any Svartpilens with the sissy bar in the US. Did you purchase that directly from the husky site?

ThemSheeps
    ThemSheeps
    Participant

Hi, lhsfb.

My sissy bar came stock with the bike albeit needing to be DIY installed as the dealership opted not to attach it to the bike.

As far as I know all Svarts should ship with it.

Kind regards,

Johan

ThemSheeps
    ThemSheeps
    Participant

Picked up a Ducati Monster 821 last week, and I thought about trading my Svart in for that. I am so glad that I didn’t. I still love the Svart and for commuting it is still my preferred choice.

Too many fond memories with the Svart (as it is my first real bike), but the Monster really does fill the gap for a few hooligan antics on the weekends.

This does probably mean that I will not be much more tweaks to the Svart – was thinking about the tail tidy, but that is not a priority anymore.

-Johan

Midnaite
    Midnaite
    Participant

Keep the svart and take the monster 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.