Traction control doesn’t want to turn off

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

@vanessa good point. Hmmmm. front wheel then? 😛

Serious, I want the tc off permanently, and if that involved disabling the abs too, I’m fine with that. But the scenarion you just described scares me a bit… doesn’t it just think I came to a hauling stop?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Max KoolMax Kool.
    VanessaVanessa
    Participant

What you want is to keep the ABS ECU happy as it has input into the instrument panel and provides useful signals for milage and speed readings. You could check to see if there was a specific fuse just for the ABS pump motor, which was separate to the fuse for the ABS ECU. Some systems have separate fuses with the pump motor fuse being a higher value than the ECU fuse. Then pull just the ABS pump motor fuse. The system would register a fault and illuminate the failure lamp and disable ABS and TC, but keep essential speed information available to the instrument display.

If this wasn’t possible or there wasn’t a separate pump motor fuse, or you didn’t want the ABS failure lamp illuminated, then it might be drastic but you could hydraulically disconnect the ABS unit from the braking system, plug up the open fluid ports on the modulator unit, and pipe the front brake master cylinder straight to the front brake caliper, bypassing the ABS unit. Do the same with the rear brake pedal to rear brake caliper. That way the ABS unit could not affect brake pressure. But of course the bike would be illegally modified, and your insurance may be invalid. It might not pass the annual road test inspection (if you have one in your country). Also, if the ABS unit has an IMU input, and brake fluid pressure sensors, then it may still sense a deceleration but not see any brake pressure rise and hence show a failure message on the instrument panel. It depends how thorough the diagnostic and system self-checking software is on that particular ABS unit.

I still wouldn’t recommend any modifications to your ABS system as it’s a safety-critical system designed to help you, and folks like me spend years of our lives making sure these systems operate safely and correctly and keep people safe on the roads.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Well actually, I want to permanently disable traction control, and that’s tougher I think. ABS I can live with.

looking at the vitpilen diagram, the abs controller feeds the ecu, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the abs controller detects a tc situation it sends a signal to the ecu to dim the throttle…

pulling one or both abs module fuses won’t change tc… at least not without a warning light.

🙁

If there was a way to toggle tc permanently off digitally… but apparently we can’t access or modify the ecu.

Appreciate your input btw

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Hmm, I posted a detailed reply, but this damn forum seems to have deleted it. If it doesn’t appear later on, then I’ll re-post it <sigh>

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Posting again, fingers crossed it appears this time…

You are correct in that the TC software resides in the ABS ECU and is an additional function of that unit. There are 3 types of ETC (Electronic Traction Control): throttle intervention only systems, brake intervention only systems and those that can do both. Throttle intervention systems cut engine power to the spinning wheel (either through ignition retardation – basic systems, or actual throttle adjustment – more advanced systems) to bring the spinning wheel back under control. Brake intervention systems apply brake pressure (using the ABS system) to the spinning wheel to achieve the same end. If the TC system on the 701 is a throttle intervention only system, then it may well be that disabling the ABS pump motor won’t stop the TC system from cutting engine power. In which case I can’t suggest a means of safely disabling only the TC operation without having detailed system information and circuit diagrams to hand.

A CAN interception device that sat between the ABS ECU and the Engine ECU could in theory perform such a function, by intercepting the TC-specific CAN messages from the ABS ECU, and changing them so that the Engine ECU never sees the call for power reduction. As long as the altered CAN messages were plausible and benign, no fault would be generated. But if an IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) was fitted to the 701’s ABS system, it might register plausibility faults if a call for reduced power never actually generated a corresponding change in lateral g readings. The integration of systems on modern vehicles can make making changes very difficult or impossible. Manufacturer’s diagnostic and programming tools may be the only way to effect such changes, and then only if that specific change was an actual adjustable parameter. Sorry I can’t help further.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

It’s ok, again appreciating your helpful insight.

Participant

wow, came back to a lot of info.. to back up.. I am pretty certain that my TC is permanently off.. Thats my experience, that’s also what the test ride explained to the dealer. I hate traction control and ABS, they both should be able to be permanently turned off instead of having to press it every damn time I turn the bike on. However, they said that I should still get it back in there once they have an answer from Husq to make sure thats the only issue.

Right now, im just riding it until they find out info and hopefully it will work out with timing the first service so I can get the service light deleted at the same time. But if not, thank you, I will mention the ON/OFF switch for the TC in the ECU.

side note: my ZX10R came with all this crap except ABS and I sent my ECU off to get some things done, one of which was to be able to shut off TC while riding and also having it stay off even if it was shut down and turned back on. Does anyone know if we are able to do this with Husq? I’ll be deleting the ABS soon enough anyway.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Try popping a wheelie and you’ll know if TC is off or on. If my front wheel comes up ever so slightly with tc on the engine bogs down.

it’s not easy to delete the ABS on these bikes. The ECU is fed off the ABS brain, which in turn feeds the speedo. Remove the ABS and the speedo doesn’t work, the ECU will spawn error messages.

Unless of course, we had access to the ECU (which we don’t afaik).

And if you find a way, please share. I want it all off too…

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Max KoolMax Kool.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Max KoolMax Kool.
    Participant

Well, no good news as of yet. And MAX KOOL you were correct, I had just taken their word for it but I went out to have some wheelie fun and she bogged down hard, wouldn’t let me get it over a foot off the ground. So TC is Permanently on.

I took it to the dealer and they said they tried the ECU TC on and off and neither fixed it. It will be getting dropped off this coming wednesday and they are swapping out the entire wiring harness. I guess Husq was even plugged in to the bike digitally through a network and saw nothing wrong.. this is a pain, but at least I can still ride and they are doing what they can to fix it.

Participant

Hello
    So how was your problem solved?
    I am currently in a similar situation on my svartpilen 701.
    I cannot turn off the TC
    Since I received it, the indicator light has never come on when starting up.
    It currently has 1300 km and I will have it serviced tomorrow at the dealership.
    I am interested in the outcome of your situation and in any case I found the post very interesting.
    thanks guys

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

You should be able to with the lower button, but that button is really hard to press. Friend of mine on a Svart has to try two or three times before it works. It’s like the button is not there. Dead

Participant

I repeatedly insisted on that damn button.
    And still nothing.
    What concerns me is that the TC light does not come on when the ignition is switched on.
    I would see this morning at the dealer

Participant

Sorry for the delay in replying

Mine was fixed by husqvarna… They plugged the bike in and said there is some option where the ability to turn off the tc is disabled.

Its just a software option. I think something to do with first service maybe

Keep pushing them to sort it because it’s a different bike when you can get full power

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.