Top Case

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jherrild
    Participant

I’ve seen a lot of posts about people wanting there to be a top case for this bike- there isn’t a bike specific one that I’m aware of, but the ‘GIVI B29’ 29 Litre top case can be mounted very securely without any permanent modifications to the OEM rear rack. I was able to use the bracket/screw system that came with the universal mounting plate to bracket the Givi mount down in 4 places, without drilling a single hole or doing anything permanent to the case, or the bike.

Fitment/Use:
    When I take it off my bike, I tend to just pop the rear rack and replace it with the pillion seat, but the case does easily detach from the universal mounting plate, so I’ve attached pictures of what that looks like as well. It’s secure, and it works. I wish I had a mount that would let me place it a little further back, so I’m open to suggestions that anybody’s got on that.

Riding:
    When Riding with this on, I don’t notice any appreciable drag/handling detriment, but it is a little tricky to get my foot over the bike (I’m 5’10”) when it’s on. Once I learned to mount the bike by standing on the left side foot peg, it got a whole lot easier, but obviously that’s only an option if you trust your stand, and are on solid ground.
    Side note: It’s close enough to your back that you are taking this OR a backpack, not both. Trust me.

Space:
    It holds a full sized, full face helmet. I have a Medium Bell Star, and it fits just fine. When that’s in the case though, don’t expect to get much else in there.

Looks:
    Frankly, I don’t love how it looks, but I appreciate the utility when commuting. I don’t leave it on all the time, and I’m glad it’s so easy to remove.

Google photos album (because apparently my phone takes photos to large to upload to this forum):

Vanessa
    Participant

Really neat solution, thanks for sharing. I have a very similar Givi top box and mounting plate, I might copy your idea.

Jherrild
    Participant

Thanks! I have enjoyed it. Like I said, my only real gripe is that I wish it could sit a little further back so that I had more room to also wear a backpack, and for general aesthetics. If you end up with a workable solution for that, even if it involves machining custom parts (I think I saw that you milled an extended shifter peg?), I’d love to see it!

scg_motox
    Participant

Thanks for sharing… definitely nice to see there’s some options out there for storage

John
    Participant

Thanks for posting. Have you had any issue with the rear rack coming unmounted from the bike? The indent on that single cylindrical pin is all that’s keeping the whole fixture in place, and it seems like any leverage or shifting weight could pop it off.

Jherrild
    Participant

Wow, I had never put much thought into the mechanism, but that’s vaguely terrifying.

In my experience, no it has been quite reliable locking into place and staying there, but I might just be lucky! I will say, I’ve maneuvered my bike in close quarters parking garages by gripping the top case, which I’m sure applied a significant amount of leverage to that pin, and it’s always felt quite secure when doing so.

John
    Participant

Good to know. I am working out a DIY saddlebag support frame that mounts to the rear rack. Your post gives me some hope it will stay put.

Jherrild
    Participant

@John that’s awesome! I’d love to see it when it’s complete, I’ve been looking for a way to mount a small side case because as I stated above, getting my foot over the top case is a bit of a challenge in certain situations (e.g. my garage).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.