Throttle tube?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,
    I have heard from others that the throttle tube on these bikes have nubs or ridges molded in making grip replacement cumbersome or difficult to fit regular aftermarket grips…

So, I’m wondering if the throttle tube is also compatible or replaceable with the throttle tube from a Husqvarna/KTM dirt bike?
    If so I’ll just buy one of those and put my grips on.

Anyone happen to know, or have the ability to cross reference?

Thanks!

QwandreeQwandree

I don’t know about replacing the throttle tube. The oem ones, yes they do have nubs. It’s a small pain in the ass to change the grips but wasn’t really that difficult or anything when I changed mine.

Probably the biggest deal is you basically have to trash the grips you are replacing while taking them off.

Participant

I don’t want my right side grip to feel thicker than the other side, nor have nubs underneath. Just want to do it properly, like on any other motorcycle I own. I replace grips usually twice a season on my dirt bike and it’s super simple.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

When the dealer fitted the KTM heated grips to my SP401 they filed the nubs down to make the throttle tube smooth and then fitted the grips as normal with grip glue. They said it was an easy mod, and the grips feel fine and the same size across the bars.

Participant

Thanks yeah, filing is an option…

But if the throttle tube is simply replaceable, then I can remove the factory stock grips without damage, then install my own preferred grips, and if I ever sell the bike, I can just return to stock with the original unmodified undamaged grips. This is why I am trying to find out if the throttle tube is a cross compatible part with other KTM/Husqvarna products.

NampusNampus
    Participant

The left grip is glued to the bar, good luck getting that off without damaging the grip.

A set of grips from Husqvarna is about €25 and I think they come with a throttle tube. Number 5:

https://www.bike-parts-husqvarna.com/husqvarna-motorcycle/701_Husqvarna/2018/VITPILEN_701/VITPILEN-701/HANDLEBAR–CONTROLS/3127/2/0/3127

The 690 (from the ride by wire types) throttle tube is probably the same as the huskies. But probably the same price as the huskies.

Participant

Seems the newer Husqvarna 701 Supermoto has smooth throttle tube. Need to confirm if it works with the same throttle.

Duke 690 also has this nubbed throttle tube though.

Also came across this

G2 Street “Stock Ratio” Throttle Tube – Husqvarna

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Talking about throttle tube. No one finding the slack/free play in the throttle annoying? (I do). I contacted “ducati spacers” and sent them a few pics. They think our throttle is similar to the Ducati Multi 1260. They’re sending me a set of throttle spacers to try.

Throttle spacers are little plastic thingies that go inside your tbw housing to eliminate the play between the tbw unit, and the throttle tube (red in this picture).

Will keep us posted

QwandreeQwandree

I have those spacers on my thruxton r and they are nice. Let me know if they fit when you get them cuz would def buy for this bike.

Participant

I really only notice the play when I sit there with the bike off and rattle the tube. During riding it’s not that bothersome to be at the front of my mind.

I just went ahead and ordered that G2 e-gas throttle tube (too bad I missed a 25% off black Friday sale!?!).
    Has delrin bushings also, and we’ll see if tolerances are tighter or different than the stock plastic tube.

I’ll update here once I receive it and install, even though I won’t be able to ride since it is snowing.

NampusNampus
    Participant

Very interested in those spacers! Have been trying to find something like that to fix the slop. Let us know if they fit!

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Will do. I always hated slop in my throttles, and tried to minimize it as much as possible. My other bike (FTR1200) has tbw too and has no slop at all, just perfect. I know the difference.

Anyway, will keep us posted.

Participant

You can make quick work of those nubs on the OEM tube with a Dremel. We’ve done that on numerous bikes in a quality fashion.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.