Teething or should I drop a tooth?

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Participant

the 44 sprocket? Keeping the front stock… does one have to change the chain length?

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

I would guess so, yes. You’re adding 4 teeth…

Participant

I changed mine to a 45 in the back and 15 in the front. Chain is the same as original.

I think this gearing is a bit too extreme for most riders. But for my riding it fits quite well. Now I can easily wheelie in 3rd gear. And for very tight turns like on the Stelvio I don’t have to shift in to 1st gear anymore

Participant

I’ve found 15:42 is best. I’ve had 15:45 on a 690 Duke and it was fun, till I went on the freeway. Having said that, even standard was OK!

HugoHugo
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I’m starting to look for a new chain kit as mine approaches its end of life, and I might as well consider changing my ratio. I don’t want to go too extreme though as I don’t want to loose too much top speed, so 16/42 or 15/40 might be what I would go for.

What would you guys opt for? I heard that it’s preferable to change the teething on the rear sprocket better than the front for durability matters.

Also, I’ve been told that it would affect speedometer readings and, more importantly, odometer on the long term. The question have been asked on this thread, but the simple “No” it got as an answer leaves me a bit pensive. You guys have any more informations? Because if it does indeed affect any speed/ODO readings, I’m not going for it, I like my bike “clean” and don’t want these numbers to be distorted 🙂

Thanks!

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

On my Svartpilen 401, changing sprocket sizes/ratios did not affect the speedo readout or odometer. The speed and distance information is supplied by the ABS system, using the wheel speed sensors (polewheels mounted at the centre of each wheel). The only change that would affect the speed and odo readings would be if you changed the wheel sizes (diameters).

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

@Hugo changing the gearing does not change speedo or odometer reading. And 15-42 is not too short gearing for the freeway imho.

Participant

hola, usted debe saber que el cuentakilómetros vitpilen está en la rueda delantera, lo que significa que no afecta a la relación de engranajes en absoluto

Participant

Anyone knows where to buy a light weight rear sprocket, thats fits my 701 vit without any doubts, in Europe? I only find nice ones in the states.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant
    HugoHugo
    Participant

Hi all, thanks for your precise answers! I hesitated a lot, but ended up going for the 16-42 option, sorry @maxkool 😬 Dropping a teeth on the front sprocket apparently really affects max speed, which is not what I’m aiming for either, so I think that 16-42 is a really balanced solution 🙂 Will let you know!

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

You’ll like 16-42, it’s already an improvement, you’ll love 15-42 later 😛

HugoHugo
    Participant

Hahaha gotta start somewhere I guess!

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Serious, I went down a similar path. I first changed to front to a 15, and still not satisfied I swapped the rear for a 42 a month or two later. Happy ever since. 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.