Teething or should I drop a tooth?

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Excellent

Participant

Anyone have recommended brand/model rear sprockets for these?
    I’m going to pick up a 44t.

Is this bcd/bolt pattern the same as on the KTM/Husqvarna dirtbikes?

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

PS, when comparing with the 701 Enduro you have to take the 18″ rear wheel into account (which is about 2-3 teeth extra on the rear alone).  We could compare with the 701 SM though, that one comes stock with 16-42…

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Looking to go up one tooth on my rear sprocket on my SP401 soon. I’m finding the gearing a bit too tall for city commuting.

Participant

I’ve been reading more input from Duke 690 owners, rather than the Enduro or Supermoto owners. Seems fairly unanimous over there to also go with a 44 rear, or some do the 15:42 (2.80 either way).

mitchotmitchot
    Participant

I have been looking between the options of 44T rear, or 15T front an 42T, cannot find anything providing a pro or con between.

So at the moment, might be going with:

https://sprocketcenter.com/superlite-rsx-71304rx-520-pitch-steel-rear-sprocket-ktm-125cc-790cc.html

https://sprocketcenter.com/superlite-73303d-525-drilled-chromoly-steel-front-sprocket.html

QwandreeQwandree

The pro to going 44T over 15/42 is that you only need to change one sprocket and that if you are super gonzo you could still drop a tooth on the countershaft sprocket in the future. OEM chain should fit either way tho.

Participant

I went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket of my 2014 690 Duke.  I bought a 15 (down 1 tooth) for the front sprocket on the Vitpilen 701, the Husky seems to be geared pretty tall.  My Duke has the Rally/Cup cam and tune with a full Remus titanium underbelly exhaust.  I haven’t decided what all I’ll do to the Husky yet.

mitchotmitchot
    Participant

Qwandree, thanks for that explanation.

I’ll keep sussing out options I think

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Dropping to a 15 tooth on the front is the easiest option, and gives significant improvement already and definitely not too short. I would start with that. Enough to lift the front wheel on the throttle alone in second gear. If that’s not enough you could always install a 42 tooth rear later.

My $0.02

Participant

I already ordered a 44t steel rear sprocket, on its way to me right now, but sadly won’t be able to properly test it out for awhile…

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Because winter I guess. Sorry sir! 🙁

Participant

Indeed. Winter.

May possibly trailer the bikes out to a better climate somewhere on vacation, or just fly somewhere and rent to ride… That is actually how I found this bike and liked it so much I decided to buy one!
    Pretty random actually, I was on a work trip to Vegas/Death Valley for some testing and I was going to get a KTM Adventure for all the desert riding, but they were all booked up the entire time. So I rolled the dice and went a little unusual and picked the Svartpilen 701 (wasn’t even listed on their website at the time). Had it for 8 days and enjoyed it way more than anticipated, and really got to see its true versatility!
    Much of that trip I was already thinking in my head that it needed more gear because first was so long. My other co-workers (on a Triumph Scrambler 1200XE and BMW adventure bike) both agreed.

mitchotmitchot
    Participant

Woo hoo! My two sprockets arrived :). Installing the front one tonight.

Participant

Same here, I received my new rear 44t sprocket and some ti bolts. But I’ll be waiting until spring to install. Booooooo

I’m anxious to hear your feedback! I bet this bike really wakes up! Probably have to keep on your toes now for WOT quick shifting through 1-2-3!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.