Teething or should I drop a tooth?

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have owned my Vitpilen for a year now and it is just getting ready to be spring in Michigan.

I already have plans to tune it and to buy the leo vince exhaust and decat (unless the forthcoming remus is amazing) but I have a question that has been long on my mind.

Should I drop a tooth in the front? Highway riding is already buzzy so I usually avoid it and it would improve around town performance. I would like to hear from those of you who have played around with it and a link to the gear you bought.

QwandreeQwandree

Stock gearing 16/40t.

I first dropped a tooth on front, then wanted more and went +2 on rear. So I’m at 15/42, which is 2.80 ratio. For what it’s worth you could just go 16/44 and get the same ratio (2.80). It should still fit with stock chain.

I would have have to look up the parts later if you want. The front is one husky and the rear is aftermarket aluminum as weight is king on this bike.

Of course my changes are more about more low end grunt at the expense of top speed. The vibes are not that bad for me on highway but I do have 2 other bikes I can ride if I need to do a lot of highway miles.

Participant

Thanks so much!

I assume you end up cruising in 6th at 55mph now?

rod frostrod frost
    Participant

I heard of using the (16T Driven Racing branded 520 sprocket) with stock chain on 390 dukes with noticeable low end results. (assumed the same for the 401…)

QwandreeQwandree

Thanks so much!

I assume you end up cruising in 6th at 55mph now?

I would if I drove 55…

Just kidding. I don’t know. Maybe. Tbh I am now pretty used to the vibes of the bike and it doesn’t really bother me at any speed. But like I said, I don’t take the 701 on any big trips or anything.

Do the gearing, you will like it. You could do what I did and try the feel of changing one sprocket tooth and see how it goes. But if I could do it again I would just go 16/44 (or maybe even 16/45). It makes the bike a lot more fun around town and in the hills.

Participant

Is there any way you could tell me what company you bought them from?

QwandreeQwandree

I got the countershaft sprocket from aomc. It’s the dampered oem part from KTM.

https://www.ktm-parts.com/58033029115.html

This may or may not be what I put on the back.

https://sprocketcenter.com/street-sprocket-applications/husqvarna/701-vitpilen-2017-2018/afam-72304-workslite-hard-anodized-alloy-rear-off-road-sprocket-ktm.html

Participant

Ill give it a try and let you know how it goes!

Participant

From the moment that I bought the bike I wasn’t happy with the gearing, and today I have changed the gearing of my Vitpilen 701 to 15/42 (16/40 std)  and the change is amazing ! this is how the bike should have left the factory !

Very smooth take off from standstill and much more driveable in the city.

It took me 2 hours of my time and 50 euros for the sprockets, the chain length doesn’t need to be altered.

Do it, you won’t regret it 😉

Greetings from The Netherlands

QwandreeQwandree

Nice Dennis.

I’ve done a lot of fussy mods to my 701, including decat and a piggyback ecu. But the gearing I think gives me the most joy and it’s probably the cheapest mod of anything I’ve done. It’s also very easy to undo if for some reason you are nuts and don’t like it.

Participant

Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum. Just bought a Vitpilen 701 and really struggle with it at lower speeds, end up having to use the clutch a lot in 2nd gear at low speeds. I rode an Enduro 701 and couldn’t believe the difference, it would ride smoothly from most gears and didnt have that stalling feeling. I was offered a straight swap for the enduro 701 but i cant part with my beautiful Vitpilen. Does anyone know what gearing the Enduro 701 has? A motocross friend of mine suggested changing the front sprocket down by one tooth. Or should i go the full deal on it and change it to a 15/42? I do very little motorway riding as i live in a hilly part of ireland so its all mountain roads and a bit of town commuting. I would like to know what its like at 130KPH though? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

QwandreeQwandree

The shorter gearing 15/42 will give you a bit more acceleration at the cost of some top end. It will decrease the top speed (hasn’t bothered me at), but will mean you’ll need to shift (and use the clutch) sooner, especially in lower gears. Which means more clutching. So for what I think you are describing I definitely don’t think that’s what you want.

What your friend suggested will make the gearing shorter but not by as much as what I did. You might actually want to make the gearing taller by lowering the rear by a tooth or two so you have to shift later through the rev range.

I’ve never ridden a 701 enduro so I can’t compare, but to me the gearbox on this bike is very smooth and the throttle is not grabby at all. It’s possible that you have a clutch issue, or it may that you just need to spend some more time with the bike to get the feel down. You maybe are used to doing low speed stuff in 2nd on the enduro through town that needs to be in first on the vit to make it not feel stally.

Personally I would do that before changing gearing. But changing the gearing is not expensive or hard to do and can be completely reversed by putting back the original sprocket(s).

How long have you had it or how many miles on it?

QwandreeQwandree

So I looked up the stock gearing of the enduro. 16/46. It’s actually shorter than the vitpilen, which means that what you are used to doing in low speeds in 2nd on that bike you might want to be in 1st on the vit. So lowering the gearing on the vit might get you closer to your old bike (but I think you’d have to be more aggressive than just dropping a tooth on the countershaft sprocket).

Here’s the stock gearing on the two bikes compared – enduro is current, vit is new (through if I recall correctly the vit oem chain is 114 links).

Participant

Does changing the gearing mess up the speedo or how does the Speedo take its reading on this bike?

QwandreeQwandree

No.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.