‘TC Failure’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’d like to know if anyone else has had an issue with traction control on their Vitpilen/Svartpilen 701.  The engine light on the dash is on. the TC and ABS lights also.  And I also get a message saying ‘TC Failure’ on the dash.  When the message come on, there is no throttle.  The bike will idle only.  No increase in revs when the throttle is turned.  First time it happened I was in traffic and someone nearly ran into the back of me.  Also pretty dangerous when it cuts back in as the bike will launch forward.  When I pulled over and waited for a while and re-started then it would go away for a few minutes and I could at least limp somewhere.

Its at the dealer today.  Hopefully I’ll get it sorted under warranty.  But I’m interested to know if anyone else has had a similar issue.  I’ve seen someone else on r/husqvarna mention it.

Participant

Having a very similar issue on my Svart 701

“CAN ABS Failure” appears for seconds on screen with cracked lines along with flashing ABS/TC lights, however without any change to bike function. Dealership thinks its a dash issue and reckons ABS is working fine

No available software updates either

Participant

really easy to see if ABS is working… just hit that rear brake hard, you’ll feel it tapping back.

Participant

I’ve had similar a few times – mainly down to battery failing. Low battery charge causes some canbus oddities. Though that of course is not the cause of all these kind of issues, it might be worth checking the state of your battery.

I also had TC failure warnings when my clutch was in the process of failing, but only when I was sitting in traffic with the clutch pulled in.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

The only time I see a TC failure is in the split second when I turn my bike off, while I have been riding riding with the TC off (which I always do, permanently switched off). I ignore it.

Participant

I got exactly the same problem. The dealer made a reset of some parameter. But the problem come up again today, 5 times in 30 minutes. Did you finally fix it? Did you discovered from where the problem come?

Participant

Hello,

I just bought a svartpilen 701 (950 km)
    I have the same problem as you.

For me the problem comes from the wiring on the rear part of the motorcycle (bad contact)

I am waiting for the 1000K overhaul to get a feedback from the dealer because today the engine light remains permanent.

Have a good day.

DerDientDerDient
    Participant

@NEO701: that’s exactly what I am experiencing recently. Any conclusions yet?

I’ve run my bike for one year without problems. This year startet with a service. Clutch fluid, break fluid and oil was changed. The bike also got the new gas tank.

Things started getting weird from then on.. I’ve had my bike to the shop again after the first time the issue occurred shortly after the service was done, actually because the engine light remained on after the incident.

The ECU reported an communication error. The message was deleted and I hoped for the best.

I was on a trackday last weekend when the TC failure/idle issue occurred again, and more frequently than before. I felt like shutting it down for a few minutes helps, and also to keep the revs up (>2000rpm) manually after starting up the engine. Will have it at the shop sometime next week and let you know about what they found.

Participant

I vaguely remember someone on one of the Facecbook groups saying their throttle by wire system was funky and had to get their throttle assembly replaced.

DerDientDerDient
    Participant

@Cyril yes that’s a good guess. I cannot tell for sure though since it will take some time before the bike will be fixed. From the call I had with the work shop I took that there is a cable connection (drive by wire to engine ECU) underneath the tank… so the issue could have been caused during the gas tank swap?!

Participant

I @DerDient,

My problem has been resolved since yesterday.
    A connection with false contact (I do not know which) …
    in general, false contact problems cause errors to be reported on the CAN network of vehicles.

Unfortunately without a suitcase of diag impossible for an individual to find.

Good evening everybody.

Participant

My bike is back at a dealer now.  Third dealer try and find the problem.  I’ve now also written to KTM citing a safety concern having experienced just enough drive to pull out onto the road, then nothing when I turn the throttle, leaving me to get off the bike and push it out of the way with cars and trucks approaching. KTM have advised me at this point to not ride the bike. They’ve also told me to get the data downloads from the other dealers and see that they are all together.  Given the implications for safety, I’m not sure the dealers were supposed to be giving the bike back to me and just saying they can’t find the problem. leaves the current dealer in a bit of a bind as now there is a spotlight on them, but hopefully something will happen.  Under Aus law if the vehicle can’t be used then I get another one, or a refund apparently with some deduction for mileage so far. At least these bikes come with a two year warranty.

Participant

My bike is back at a dealer now.  Third dealer to try and find the problem.  I’ve now also written to KTM citing a safety concern having experienced just enough drive to pull out onto the road, then nothing when I turn the throttle, leaving me to get off the bike and push it out of the way with cars and trucks approaching. KTM have advised me at this point to not ride the bike. They’ve also told me to get the data downloads from the other dealers and see that they are all together.  Given the implications for safety, I’m not sure the dealers were supposed to be giving the bike back to me and just saying they can’t find the problem. leaves the current dealer in a bit of a bind as now there is a spotlight on them, but hopefully something will happen.  Under Aus law if the vehicle can’t be used then I get another one, or a refund apparently with some deduction for mileage so far. At least these bikes come with a two year warranty.

Participant

Hi Der Dient.  My bike is back at a dealer now.  I’ve been told by KTM not to ride the bike until the problem has been positively identified and rectified.  That seems to have been difficult as its been an intermittent problem.  When I dropped the bike off at the dealer he already had a throttle assembly waiting so we’ll see if that helps.

The bike has been having the issue more frequently now.  I put it on a trailer and drove many miles back to the city where I bough the bike.  Checked when I got there – still had the problem.  The next day I took it to the dealer.  Took it off the trailer, checked again, still had the problem.  Pushed the bike across the road into the workshop.  Started it to show the dealer, worked fine, no problem.  But I’m not to ride it according to KTM.  At least while it was having the issue this time I took some pictures of the the dash.

DerDientDerDient
    Participant

Hey thanks for the info!

My bike is at the work shop now for about a week and I just got a call saying that they now could reproduce the failure (was running perfectly when I left the bike..of course). When reading out the internal failure message they apparently got clear indication that the electric throttle was causing the error. Spare part is on its way now. I’m still not sure though if that’ll fix the problem since I did not experience any odd situations regarding the throttle response in operation.. will keep you updated!

Kind regards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.