Tail tidy

Tagged: 

This topic contains 61 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Avatar galavoxx 1 day, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Burnzoire
    Participant

Has anyone used the oem “LICENSE PLATE HOLDER SUPPORT” yet? It looks like it integrates nicely with the frame. It looks like you can chop off the lower half of the frame for low profile plates (we have smaller plates in Aus)

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/globalassets/products-pim-data/ke2-16034436/trim-partsdecals/trim-parts/license-plate-holder-support-/28508915044/pho_pp_nmon.jpg?width=683&height=515&mode=pad

Burnzoire
    Participant

You can actually see it in action on the press site:

tail tidy

Burnzoire
    Participant

Gonna cost me $AUD 380, so not cheap. Will go for exhaust first I think.

alukban
    Participant

The best, unique, distinguishing visual feature of the 401’s to me is the elegant line defined by curving swoop of the tail that ends in the stubby snub of the tail light overhanging the rear tire.

It is already supremely “tidy” as it is.

I would not dream of cluttering it with an add-on “tail tidy”.  It seems to me that doing so makes it less “tidy” – quite the opposite.

I do like the ideas folks are coming up with though!  😀

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by Avatar alukban.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by Avatar alukban.
    Burnzoire
    Participant

I’ve had exactly the same thought process. It’s why I don’t like any of the 3rd party “fender eliminators”. At least the OEM version respects the lines more and is slightly separated from the tail with spacers.

Your photo looks sexy AF, but include the rear wheel in the shot and you’ll see why people want to reduce all of that clutter.

TOMB
    Participant

Two heavy duty twist traps, Toolstation. £7.50

One universal tail tidy, just to use the license holder part, Ebay £5.50

M8 x 40mm bolts, toolstation. £0.81

License plate LED, £6.99. Amazon

Heat shrink and cable ties, Toolstation. £7.00

Crimp connectors, Halfords. £4.00

Cable, Halfords. £6.00

I have a grinder, I have a drill and HSS bits, I have loads of bits left for the next project.

I bought flowing LED indicators £12.99 and a relay £10.49 but could have salvaged the originals so haven’t included.

I will run this tidy for a month, if it works OK and there are no issues I will smarten the underside up and paint it.

Burnzoire
    Participant

I applaud the ingenuity, but why proudly bolt on something cheap to such a nicely designed bike?

TOMB
    Participant

It is nicely designed, but it is a cheap bike as well. Why would I spend a load of money extra on something I got for a good price that I will end up dropping at some point!

I have a KVS with over £2000 of accessories for looking dandy around town!

That being said, I did try and buy a Highrider tidy for £65 from bikermart but it never showed up and I gave up waiting.

The OEM tidy wasn’t available at the time I did this and I wouldn’t spunk £220 on that anyways.

I guess when you say cheap you mean nasty!

Once painted and smartened up, as I wrote above, it will look no more ugly than any other tail tidy and was a fraction of the price!

It works, it’s sturdy and I happen to like it. It is bespoke….

loaded
    loaded
    Participant

What is the bolt size you guys are using? M6 ?

Burnzoire
    Participant

no I don’t mean nasty, you’ve done a great job. It’s just not a premium finish, that’s all. The oem is definitely a lot of money to put down for actually deleting parts off the bike. Not sure if I’ll bother, or put that money towards my next bike.

TOMB
    Participant

Yeah no worries mate. I am going away for work but when I get back i will paint it up and smooth everything up. I will take a photo and pop it here!

max mcilwee
    Participant

I moved the license and mounted the plate on a curved mount with LED bolts on the top.    I purchased cheap blinker lights off amazon and drilled into the back tail plastics.  They have a black case but light up bright orange when they blink.  I have put the links below about 45$ for everything.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Z6WQ6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1CHCO0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076F6WJ2T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

galavoxx
    Participant

How does the light light for the license plate look when illuminated? I am currently running a similar setup with no light.

max mcilwee
    Participant

@Galaavoxx I put two on the top and only touched them to power without fully wiring them.  Seems good but I will post a picture after I wire them up.  might have to put one on opposite corners to illuminate up and down.

galavoxx
    Participant

Let me know how it goes.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.