Tail Tidy Questions (from UK)

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi – I have ridden my Svart 401 about 1,500 miles from new and am generally loving the bike. However aesthetically, its a love hate thing with me.

As with many other 401 owners, I am not a fan of the license plate holder to the point where I think it ruins the look of bike. My plan is to get a tail tidy and wear the original tyres down from general use and stick some road tyres on (I have enough fun on the road with this bike close to South Downs in Sussex, perfect for the 401 IMO).

Has anyone from the UK found and tested a tail tidy that works with a UK numberplate?

Did you get much mud spray? I don’t want to be firing mud at cars & bikes behind me (although may work to stop people driving up my a55)

Cheers in advance

Participant

Here’s mine. The bike is dry weather only, however on the time I did get caught out there was spray on the seat. This is running a 7×5 plate with the largest font I could find. Not legal but not drastically far off!

Participant
    Participant

Mines the MNNTHBX tail tidy. It’s a sturdy, if expensive, piece of metal. Looked at both of the ones you’ve linked before buying mine and found them to be as much of an eye sore as the OEM version.

Personal preference though! I’ve noticed a few others knocking around on eBay but can’t comment on quality.

Whichever you do pick up I found the R&G online instructions useful when locating screws. Quite a few you need child size arms or 30cm drivers to reach – neither of which I have meaning this job takes much longer and is much more fiddly that it needed to be.

Participant

Cheers Hobiecat.

Hopefully getting this sorted soon along with Leo Vince exhaust, will post a pic or two when ready

Participant

Hi mate

I have a MNNTHBX that I have used for a while and then removed, I am 90+ kilos and the plate kept on smashing the rear wheel, I was also running a 7 x 5 flex plate.
    If you are lighter you may be able to get away with using it. It is the prettiest tidy for the bike IMO.

I am now running the Highsider you linked, it is good enough, not as pretty as the MNNTHBX and does feel a little cheap.
    I had to go online to see the full instructions and add a few of my own bolts to make it connect, besides that it works fine.

cheers

Participant

Cheers mate, that is just the info I needed to hear. Was worried the lovely big rear plate would scrape the wheel.

Does the Highsider  stop spray getting onto the seat? Looks like it sticks out a little more behind?

Participant

I am not sure as the weather has been super and going out has been limited but you’re right it does stick out a bit more.

Based on what I can see it will help a bit but just in case I already have this saved in my basket.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Rear-Wheel-Cover-Fender-Splash-Guard-Mudguard-For-Kawasaki-Yamaha-KTM/124012774531

If it turns out to be too bad I will buy this and screw it on under the tidy somehow.

cheers

Section 59 RacingSection 59 Racing
    Participant

This is my R&G tail tidy. That is with a stock plate but am now running a 7×5. Look awesome in my eyes!

Tail tidy

Plates

Participant

That does look good! Any mud spray?

Where did you get the 7×5 plate from? Had a look at JDM plates but the smallest I can see is 228 x 164mm (9 x 6.5 inches)

Section 59 RacingSection 59 Racing
    Participant

@jtea ” Any mud spray?”

I get hardly any spray – 200% better then stock.

“Where did you get the 7×5 plate from?”

I get all my plates from https://www.a1showplates.com/ never been let down by them.

Participant

@section59racing cheers for the help!

This weekend I am fitting a few bits, mainly new exhaust and R&G tail tidy. Out of curiosity, ever been pulled over for the 7×5 plate?

Participant

Finally have the tail tidy and new exhaust fitted. Very pleased…

Husqvarana Svartpilen 401 - R&G tail tidy leo vince exhaust - rear view -

Husqvarana Svartpilen 401 - R&G tail tidy leo vince exhaust - side view

Husqvarana Svartpilen 401 - R&G tail tidy leo vince exhaust - front view

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.