Svartpilen 401 Handlebar diameter?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Good evening all.  Can anyone definitively tell me the diameter of the Svartpilen 401 handle bar?  I have searched for anything that posts the dimensions but I having quite a difficult time locating anything other than descriptions of the differences between the Svart bars and the Vit bars.  I have tried measuring the circumference and using the appropriate formula I’m getting 1.03 diameter.  Most bikes I’ve been around have either 7/8″ bars or 1 1/8″ bars.  Thinking of using adjustable Rox Risers as they can be both raised and moved forward or backward, to get the bar as bit closer to me (short arms).  Are the Svart 401 bars actually 1″?  Insights appreciated.

rod frostrod frost
    Participant

Handlebar L=785 mm, Dia.=25.4 mm cmpl. = 1 ”
    2800200103333 (per. KTM Parts Pro)

Participant

Thank you Rod. This confirms my my measurement (and math skills) are reasonably close.

I recently bought these mirrors and they don’t fit. I measured the handlebar diametre (at the extremes, not the center which is fatter) myself and I came up with 14mm. The mirrors, which in theory are compatible with 7/8 and 1 inch handlebars, measured more like 17mm in diametre so they don’t fit. Bummer.

Participant

I’m in the same boat. I want to buy bar end mirror but don’t know what adaptor to size for. So your mirrors were to big for the internal diameter?

Participant

So with the help of others rod frost, I was confident enough to go with 1” bars. I ordered 1” bar Rox Risers (2” adjustable) to bring the bars back a bit as it greatly helps sit a bit more upright. While totally subjective, it works better for my back. As for the bar mirrors, I’m using CGR Lane Splitter 7/8”. I removed the bar ends weights, then attached the Lane Spitters then reattached the bar end weights while being sure there was no impeding the throttle. All worked out well.

Correct, the usual generic brand mirror that will fit any Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc is too large in diameter for the Svartpilen’s aluminum handlebar. I haven’t been able to purchase the CRG Lane Splitter mirror, which is the best looking in my opinion, because I can’t find a vendor in Europe that doesn’t ask for my mother’s weight in return. But still, I have tried several generic mirrors and they don’t fit so I don’t understand how so many people have been able to fit bar ends to these bikes. The only explanation I can think of, other than my idiocy, is that the US spec pilens have a different sized handlebar.

MidnaiteMidnaite
    Participant

CRG Lane Splitter mirror, I have some cheap knock-off from aliexpress and they fit.

Participant

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-7-8-Round-Handlebar-Bar-End-Rear-View-Mirrors-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Black/123588550675?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I got these ones for Mrs Esquire’s Vitpilen..

After scouring eBay there were only 2 options.. When browsing you can tell they fit the smaller internal diameter of the pilen bars because you can see the outer “collar” which fits inside the bars is a seperate, removeable sleeve. So you remove that and then it fits the smaller diameter.

I chose these over the other option because you can swap the positions of the grub screw and mirror stem to have them hang down or up (perpendicular to the bars) which is what we wanted. The only other option was the knockoff lanesplitter ones which I think are super ugly and also make the bike wider which would prevent us fitting it through our front door.

They look good on the bike and work well enough for $20

Participant

Brian, did you have any trouble with the cables length when you installed the risers?

I want to go the same route, but there doesn’t seem to be too much play.

Participant

Sasstothefrass. I was able to install the 2” Rox Risers. It is quite a tight fit for the cables but was able to get enough clearance to be comfortable with the cable length. The one area where it presented an issue was in the wire to activate the brake light when the front brake lever was engaged. I realized the addition of the risers had put enough tension on the wire that it pulled the connectors off the underside of the throttle, starter, kill switch assembly. Clearly this is a major concer but I was able to gingerly gain enough slack to reconnect and then place a small zip tie to be sure it would not come loose again. I will end up adding an bit of length to the wire with connections and heat shrink everything just to be sure it will not happen again. While there is likely to be some variation from bike to bike in the length of cabling, I was able to do mine without impedance other than noted. As for the risers, I love them and it helps with this old back and short arms.  Hope this helps.

Participant

Edit to my response above. The brake wire connector is directly to the brake lever assembly and not the throttle, starter assembly.

Participant

Thanks for the detailed reply. That wire actually looks like it has the most slack on my bike, maybe 2.5 inches of play.

I’m thinking that I’d be happy with risers that change the bar height even an inch. I’ll see if that option exists and will probably post to this thread once I find something that works for me.

Thanks again, Brian.

Participant

Glad to provide input. If you go the 1” riser route, I don’t expect you will have issues. Also just a note to reiterate the bar diameter  is 1” so order risers accordingly. I hope it works out well.

Participant

Great thread btw . Any way you could post the link to the risers to purchase? I’m assuming since the bar ends don’t clamp in (bolted) that the Rox risers bolt in? Just bought my 401 yesterday and I’m obsessed with fixing the ride posture . Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.