Straight pipe cat back

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vitpilen206
    Participant

So I decided to copy what another member did on his 701 to my 401. I went to my local muffler shop and 30 mins later I was riding away. The sound is pretty awesome and I’m super excited about it. I even like the look and sound so much I’ll probably never change it. It even has the crackle and pops that I love.  I’ve recorded videos but they don’t do the sound justice. I’ll try and upload it later.

JohnnyLightning
    Participant

Heck yeah…that really cleans up that back end!!

Plus, it weighs less, breathes better and gives the bike a raw, brat look. I’m totally stealing this idea too!!

TattooRichie
    Participant

Be care with home built exhaust mods. I have built many bikes from scratch and this mod will affect performance and I suspect negate the warranty. The “ pops and crackles” are from a lean running condition. If you modify the exhaust; you should look at the after market option or options that are yet to come. This bike was mapped to run with the stock exhaust hence you need to redesign the rest of the exhaust , remap the power unit, change out the air filter.  It is your bike and engine. The ECU, exhaust and air filter and all the rest were designed this way for a reason. That is wat you always do the pipe, carb or FI, ECU and  filter at the same time on modifications accordingly.

GorData
    Participant

You most do a video. I want to hear how this sounds!

Vitpilen206
    Participant

Thanks for the input guys. I’ve been riding around for a little over 150 miles with the straight pipe and the only time I hear the backfire is on deceleration or downshifts. Even then it’s very rare. As far as power loss, I believe it feels quicker. I’ve also been keeping and eye on the temperature and I haven’t noticed any increase, even in this 100+ degree California weather.

Midnaite
    Participant

Isn’ it too noisy?

Azarrow
    Participant

I did a slip on on my bike and my mileage dropped to about 120 a tank I changed it over to a straight right off the cat and it went back to the factory 140 a tank any explanation for that?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.