Stalling In 1st After Downshifting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Scenario:

In 3rd/4th, coming to a stop sign or turning into a business, downshift down to first, let out clutch, and boom, bike’s dead.  Happens sometimes before even letting the clutch it out as if it’s not iddling high enough not to die or something?  Happened 3-4 times this morning.

Anyone else?

Participant

This just happened to me today. I think it might just be one of the quirks of riding a single…?

Participant

I’ve read about this issue on the Duke 390, which I just bought and will be breaking in this week. I dont get it, on my older carb bikes you set everything, so it must be the ecu?(if that’s what they call it.) Have you asked your service techs?

Participant

That is absolutely not a quirk of riding a single. First thought is that it is an ECU thing. Although, I think it was WVblackgun that had a leaky clutch slave cylinder that was causing his bike to stall.  The leak let air into the clutch system so the clutch wasn’t disengaging fully.

Participant

Yep, I take back what I said earlier. It’s happened to me 3-4 times now and it’s awful! The dealer just installed a brand new Brembo clutch slave master cylinder cylinder last week, so maybe it’s not bled properly?

Participant

That’s interesting, …..wonder if that will be a future problem for me??!! Guess I should look at a new mc.

Participant

Little update here for me:

Rode home from work, experienced a couple times where it died downshifting.

After a few more miles, the clutch would not engage(disengage) all the way while stopped and bike in gear, nor could I put the bike in neutral.  Sort of had to father clutch, throttle and brake to keep going.  Only a few miles from home as well, so ended up making it home.

Once I got home, I noticed that the clutch fluid reservoir was nearly empty as well.  Noticed none donw the side of the chin fairing or anywhere else so that is perplexing.

Loaded bike up on trailer and took it to nearest husky dealer (fortunately only an hour away) on Saturday.

While there, we noticed a lot of oil on the bottom of the jug too; I didn’t spend any time trying to figure out where it came from because they said they would handle it.

168 miles so far.  Not impressed uhg.

Participant

Yeah, I’m getting more and more frustrated that a brand new motorcycle I paid this much for is having this many problems. Already going back to the dealer for a third time with only 400 miles on the odometer! WTF?

It’s gotten to the point that I’m worrying about what’s breaking down while riding instead of enjoying the actual ride… ugh.

MaxenceMaxence
    Participant

Yes it’s a known problem..: ” clutch receiver seal” the Motorbike Dealer can change it in 10min, under guarantee. We talked about it few weeks or months ago on the forum. Nothing really bad actually but still..

Then for “oil” leaking under the chain sprocket (near your left foot), it’s totally normal. It’s just a “surplus” of grease coming out when engine is hot. It’s gonna do it once or twice that’s it.

😉 enjoy your ride

Participant

This keeps happening during every ride that’s more than 15 min. Wipe, repeat, wipe, repeat, wipe, repeat. The clutch slave master cylinder and output shaft seal have both been replaced as well.

MaxenceMaxence
    Participant

🤔 I’ve got the same thing but It happened twice or 3 times, on the first kilometers. And then no more ever.

Also had that effect in the beginning. After a while I changed to Drylube > no more residuals.

in the end it´s just a very very very intensive load of grease in stock condition.

BTW, WD40 is perfect to get rid of such residual, also works perfect on the (sprocket) rims

Participant

This has happened on mine too, I am not on mile 570 so still very low milage, but I thought it was just the excess Grease that is on the Chain which comes with it from the factory. It should go away after riding it for several hundreds of miles.

This shouldn’t mean there is anything leaking, it’s simply the grease on the chain getting hot when riding and the excess dripping out.

It’s annoying because gotta clean it…..but nothing to be alarmed about.

Participant

It’s just chain grease melted by the engine and Cat heat.  Ya see it under your seat when you first ride it?  Little flicks of grease?

Participant

I know this is an old-ish post. but it happened to my VIT401 yesterday. Contacted my dealership and this is what they said:

“Yes, there was a software update required with the instrument cluster.  On certain bikes, the cluster needed to be replaced.  Please call our service department to schedule an appointment to bring it in so that we can hook it up to the diagnostic tool. Will be covered under warranty if that is the case.”

Hope this helps other bikers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.