Something ground off from engine casing? (Picture request)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    S_Esquire
    Participant

Mrs Esquire bought herself a trade in Vitpilen 401 with only 1600Km about 3 weeks ago and every time I look at it from a new angle I seem to find new, strange things appearing on the bike..

Finding this forum has been both a blessing and a curse as it has helped me to notice and understand a lot of modifications the previous owner has done to the bike, which the dealership either willingly omitted mentioning or doesn’t even notice themselves, a very troublesome thought considering they are the dealership who sold it to the original owner and I know for a fact their mechanic personally owns a Svart 401… but at the same time most of the content here on the forum is giving a very negative impression of a very expensive motorcycle with a lot of flaws and bad manufacturer/dealer support..

This morning while trying to find the side stand magnet thing to take a photo for someone elses thread, I found these strange marks on the engine case/clutch cover which look as if someone has grinded off some mounting points? The bike has Competition Werkes cat delete pipe installed when we purchased it, which is what would be tucked down in that area but it baffles me as to why someone would go so far as to grind off anything from the engine/clutch cover..

Anyway here is some pictures of the offending area, could someone else post a picture of the same area if possible and/or explain what is missing (if anything). Thanks in advance.

Vitpilen 401 Engine cover grinding

Vitpilen 401 Clutch cover grinding

Anonymous

Not funny, is it? No disclosures by the seller/dealer of out of the ordinary wear and tear? Was the bike’s price an unbelievably good deal? Do you think the mod’s have, in anyway, negated the warranty? I would be inclined to go back to the dealer (or another Husky dealer if possible) and see if someone could do the forensics necessary.

S_Esquire
    Participant

Unfortunately we’re in rural Australia so taking it to another Husky dealer is not an option, the next closest one is a 6 hour roundtrip, but we have been back to the dealer that sold it to us multiple times to get them to check on things we think could be abnormal, asking questions and just generally looking over their floor stock model to pick out changes and mods. They have been really good about it. We’ve no reason to believe they’re deliberately trying to decieve us or anything. They definitely said any issues are covered by warranty and we’ve done our best to document the bike as we purchased it to try and cover ourselves there.

It’s just that whilst being a good price for this bike, especially considering almost $2000 of accessories, it was a bit of an impulse buy, far more expensive than a lot of other really nice, proven reliable, more powerful bikes we were considering.. Almost double our intended budget and about triple the price of any vehicle I’ve ever owned in my life. It’s the only time I’ve ever bought anything from a dealership as I’m a strong believer in the “once you leave the dealership driveway you’ve thrown away a couple thousand $$” addage.

Supposedly the previous owner traded the 401 for the Vitpilen 701 because he liked it so much and is bringing all the original 401 parts for us as part of the purchase, was really the deal clincher TBH so we’d have a spare plastics set to get wrapped/custom painted. That hasn’t eventuated yet (he lives even further out of town, 2 hours away, and is waiting on some backordered 701 accessories to arrive in the dealership before he makes the trip)

Mrs Esquire really loves it so hoping it works out for the best and just trying to learn as much as possible about the bikes to get the most out of it for our $$ and her enjoyment.

TL;DR – Part anxiety on my part over an expensive impulse buy, part lack of experience with dealerships, no suspected foul play though, also large part simple curiousity about the bike in general.

Looking forward to contributing more here, this forum has been so invaluable already.

Anonymous

Someone else on this forum should have firsthand knowledge (I own the black). Is it possible it comes from the factory that way? As long as the Ms is happy…and the bike is trouble free…

No oil leaks or spots left on the floor or paper?

Perhaps you could coordinate to be at the dealer when the previous owner shows up to get his stuff. And really look to get a straight answer.

When I was a whole lot younger, with another bike, I hopped over a pretty good size concrete block (much like hopping a log offroad) and misjudged it and came up short and did something similar.

JohnnyLightning
    Participant

…Edited

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by JohnnyLightning. Reason: Wrong Information
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by JohnnyLightning. Reason: Wrong Information
    JohnnyLightning
    Participant

…Edited

JohnnyLightning
    Participant

The grinding off your case is normal. The following images are from both a Vit401 and a Svart401…you’re only missing the skid plate.

S_Esquire
    Participant

Thanks Johnny, really appreciate the comparison photos. It’s good to know the modification is “factory” but now makes me even more curious why it is like that Lol perhaps something was there on the KTM bikes that used these engines and they just decided to grind it off and leave it unfinished..

Seems pretty low effort for such a pricey bike but I’m not a Husqvarna bean counter, maybe it saved enough to impact the RRP for the better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.