Solo touring on a vitpilen 701?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just curious if anyone has actually done some light touring (50 lbs of gear or less) on the 701 Vit.  Anyone set up a rotopax or similar to extend range?
    I absolutely love the look of the Vit 701, reminds me so much of my long gone and much lamented Yamaha SRX 600 only significantly improved in almost every way.

Most of my riding is out of the city, but not on freeways.  I tend to find secondary roads, windy roads, county roads, and even unpaved and gravel roads.

I suspect the Vit 701 should handle moderate gravel and smooth unpaved roads with aplomb.

thanks in advance for any comments or observations

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Duffelbag on the duo seat and ride?

The tank may be small, but the range is still ok compared to some other bikes. Sometimes I get between 50 and 60 mpg…..

Participant

Did a 3days 1600km Trip across the alps last Summer. Installed the Original Husky Rear bag and a Tankbag. Riding was absolutely ok. Did all the Twisty Passes. The Vit is Perfect for sportive Touring!

Participant

You should get 250-300ks (to empty) from “normal” riding.  Use a bag on the pillion seat and learn to pack light. The engine is very easy at 110-120kph on the main roads, and light weight means smiles on the back roads.  Perfect!!

Participant

That photo is great, but it would not be quite enough carrying capacity for me.  I need to be able to carry about 15-20kg of gear.  That includes a very compact travel guitar.

I am wondering if Kriega side bags or something similar would work with the Vitpilen or Svartpilen 701.  I am also wondering if there are any reasonably large tankbags that would work…what kind of tankbag are you using in the pic?

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

I’m leaning towards the saddlemen TS1450 bag for a while.

Participant

There are a number of quality softbag solutions available…Mosko, Wolfman, Kriega, and Giant Loop just to name a few.  I am very curious about the compatibility of the Giant Loop tank bag, and the U shaped rear bag.  Reasonably large, waterproof, and made down the road in Oregon.

Participant

Wish someone had a photo to post of that saddleman on a Vitpilen.  It does look very interesting

Participant

Auto kickers 50lt comes with bungee cords – two strapped under the seat two on the passenger pegs crossing each other. That’ll hold enough for 3-4 days I bet. More I’d you’re happy to turn underwear inside out 😂

Participant

I just looked on their UK website and I’ll be damned if I can find a 50 liter bag.  Got a link?

Participant

I suspect the Vit 701 should handle moderate gravel and smooth unpaved roads with aplomb.

I confirm i did 60 kilometers with the original tires at 30-60km/h and it goes fine !

Interested in any changes done to the backseat to carry more. I’ve project to carry a 20L canister and a bag on it to do a 350km road with no gas station or city.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by AvatarVoxan.
    Participant

Steve

This may decrease with the recall and reduced tank capacity.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by AvatarOlivier.
    Participant

Olivier…..I have told my dealer that I don’t want the new tank, effectively risking any warranty on the whole bike.  It might sound like a stupid thing to do, but the smaller tank would mean about 20ks “lost” range…..so I would probably have sold the bike anyway.  I’ll take my chances, and if my current tank starts leaking I will see what my options are.  It’s a shame Husqvarna wanted the old tank back….I guess they will “fix” it and put it back into circulation.

HugoHugo
    Participant

Hi!

It’s great to hear from other people wanting to go touring with this bike!

I don’t know if this will be a good solution for you, but I shared a little DIY thing I made to hold a big bag (25L, and could definitely be more) on my passenger seat for travelling, see by yourself: https://vitpilenforum.com/forums/topic/diy-seat-bag-holders-for-vitpilen-701/

I’m also working on a complete rack (bag + saddle bags) way more advanced than this quick DIY solution, I will update on the main topic soon (and, of course, I’ll share the designs if anyone is into making it themselves).

Cheers!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by HugoHugo.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.