Should I buy a Vitpilen 701?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar OREMORM 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Spike
    Participant

Question for all the owners of Vits…..I have been a ‘Singles’ man all my life and currently have a 1985 Yamaha SRX600. I now have a knee problem that prohibits me kicking the bike over (its kick start only). Looking to replace it with another single (or dare I say it a ‘twin’) and having just seen an article about the Vitpilen I have fallen in love!

My question: Are owners happy with their Vitpilens? I’ve seen a few comments on issues regarding electrics, fuel tanks, clutch master cylinders etc…..

Your comments would be appreciated – Cheers

Savovo
    Participant

Although taking the bike to the dealership to get warranty work is a hassle and I am very impatient, I fall in love with the bike every time I have a chance to ride it. This machine is BEAUTIFUL and being the strongest single on the market, it packs a punch!

You can replace the clutch slave with the Oberon/Brembo. You can get warranty work on the fuel tank sensor. The ECU problems will probably be fixed in an update. It’s just small problems that are common, but it’s not too hard of a fix.

If you have a chance, take a ride in one and you’ll probably never regret it. 😀

Spike
    Participant

Thanks for your input Savovo. Yes I’m lining up a test ride but unfortunatly dealers here in my local area have sold out (the bikes fairly new to Australia)  and they are waiting for a shipment to arrive in a few months. Its a case of my heart ruling my head! Its the closest looking modern bike to my SRX600 which has been my lifelong ‘go-to’ bike.

Cheers and safe riding.

Jeff
    Participant

Well, we shouldn’t make up your mind for you, cus we’re on this forum, aren’t we, so we prolly like the 701 pretty well….and for me, that’s true: I have a few hundred thousand miles on BMW twins, fully loaded down with gear, but at my age (old!) I was patiently looking for something lighter, less ponderous, more flickable. A Vitpilen 701 showed up at my muti-brand dealer, 2019 model. “Whoa! Beautiful,” I thought. Really, like you, heart over head. Wow. “I must have one!” So now I do, and its sort of a total delight, and no problems so far (1,000 miles). I’m not so used to singles, so that little engine working away down there is kinda new to me; keeping the revs above 3,000, I’m getting used to; plus as noted, the thing is this absolutely beautiful object! So, here’s another happy Vitpilen owner, up in New England, USA.

Spike
    Participant

Jeff, I dont need my arm twisting, just curious as the owners thoughts on the bike.

Thanks for your comments – cheers.

mitchot
    mitchot
    Participant

I am from Australia, had the bike a few weeks and very happy with the purchase and decision. Got a demo bike never riden when they dropped the price so snagged a bargain there :D.

Its fun to ride, definitely packs a punch, which I think is felt even more due to the incredibly light weight. Its super easy to manipulate out on the road. I don’t think you will be disappointed with the purchase, if the design/look/style catches your eye and you like it, the rest you will like even more.

Spike
    Participant

Cheers Mitchot, I’ve just learnt about the Vitpilen so it was disappointing when the local Husky dealer had just sold his demo and wasn’t expecting a delivery for a few months due to non being available in Aus. Hoping the price stays the same for the next batch!

Thanks for the comment – cheers- ride safe.

diesel
    Participant

Another aussie here. I’d been looking at duke 690s on and off for ages and also recently at the 701sm. Had looked at the vitpilen briefly but the price at the time put me off. Grabbed one after the recent price drop.

To tell you the truth I was seriously thinking I’d made a bad choice for the first 150 or so kms. Not sure why. It just wasn’t happening for me. Started getting more used to it and found that it feels much better when riding in a ummmm spirited manner. Soon after that it all started to come together and I’ve now got about 1600km on it and love it.

GB500
    GB500
    Participant

hi

in short yes you should 🙂 I had a duke before the 701 and I have nothing but good stuff to tell you about my experiences so far. The shorter wheelbase and steeper rake makes it even more agile and fun. The duke is in no way afraid of a sharp corner but the 701 does it quicker and somehow more planted at the same time than the duke ever could.
    it feels more mature and more fun at the same time and that’s not a trick easy to pull off, so I think the Husky geeks did a great job redesigning an already fun machine.

it’s not perfect (nothing ever is)  but I still love it to bits 🙂

OREMORM
    Participant

Well, yes. And I say this as my 2018 is sitting in the dealership service garage waiting for a new gas tank. This is my first bike and I’m super happy with my decision on the Vit 701. I love the look, the ride, the size and feel. Unfortunately I’ve had some problems like other Vit 701 owners. But I’m not too surprised, after all it’s the first road bike Husky has made in decades. No problem with engine or frame, which have been perfected with there dirt bike history. I’ll be without my Vit 701 for 2 months, tank on backorder, and I’ll miss it the entire time. Hopefully Husky has learned from their 1st year production mistakes and incorporated all the fixes on 2019 and future bikes. Not sure if Husky is going to make things right with me on my loss of 2 months, I hope they do, but I’d still say give it a shot. Take one for a ride and you’ll know.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.