Shifter foot peg extension

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Here I am with another uninteresting modification, this time to the shifter foot pedal peg.

I’ve been having some difficulties shifting gears from 2nd to 3rd (no problems with any other gears) and it almost seems like there is more force or more shifter foot pedal movement required for the 2nd to 3rd gear upshift. At least 30% of the time I fluff this change up, and often my toe slips out from under the shifter peg. I’ve not had any problems shifting gears with my Yamaha MT-07, so I measured the lengths of the shifter pegs (the bit you put your foot under to change up) on both bikes and found that the Yamaha one was 10mm longer. So I decided to make a new longer shifter peg for my SP401.

The first job was to remove the rubber sleeve covering the peg, and it was glued on so quite difficult to prise off. I used a screwdriver and levered it under the rubber sleeve and broke the glue and prised it off without damaging it. I noted that even with the glue bond broken, the rubber sleeve was still on very tight and took a lot of finagling to get off. Then I had to unscrew the metal shifter peg from the shift pedal/lever. This was REALLY difficult as the stock peg is secured in place with high-strength thread locker (retaining fluid) as it’s not meant to ever be removed. In the end I got my hubby to help, and we protected the bike with some bubble wrap in case of slipping with a tool and damaging the bike. I borrowed a big pair of mole grips from work and we clamped them to the peg and propped the lever in place with some wood and a piece of rubber so it wouldn’t move while twisting force was being applied to the peg with the mole grips. A LOT of force was needed to overcome the threadlock, but eventually it did unscrew. Note that the jaws of the mole grips chewed up the end of the stock shifter peg. See pic below:

It helps to have the bike on a paddock stand while doing this for extra stability. You can see above that the peg has been unscrewed and is sitting in the jaws of the mole grips.

I took some measurements from the stock peg, the thread size is M8 coarse (standard) pitch. Then I made a new peg on my lathe from 303 stainless steel, that was 10mm longer, making the new peg as long as the one on my MT-07.

Note the remnants of the threadlock on the old peg, and the damage caused by the mole grips.

Then I used my milling machine to put two flats onto the new peg so I could get a spanner onto it to tighten it up:

Then it’s just a matter of screwing the new peg in place, making sure to use some high-strength threadlocker fluid (e.g. Loctite high-strength retaining compound, not the ‘usual’ medium strength one) to keep it in place. Then press the rubber sleeve into place, it was on tight enough to not warrant any glue.

You can see the new peg in place in the pic below:

In use I found it easier to shift the gears, and less chance of my foot slipping out from under the peg. As my feet are quite small, I could really do with the shifter peg being a bit closer to the foot rest peg, but there is no adjustment and no adjustable aftermarket shift lever available. KTM do offer an adjustable shifter lever (in their Powerparts catalogue) for the Duke 390, but it doesn’t fit the Husky 401s as it’s a different design. On this upgrade KTM part there are three positions for the toe peg along the shifter lever, which would be ideal for me, but the design and shape of the lever means it’s not compatible with the Husky 401s, which is a real shame. But at least I’ve made my own improvements which do help me enough to make the whole effort worthwhile.

Participant

I agree that the shifter peg could be a hair wider. Nice job with your custom made one! Looks great…now if you can sell me that one and make another 😀

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I’m glad you like it, I didn’t think anyone read my modification posts.

I don’t have any CNC computer aided machinery, all my mods are handmade. My lathe, for instance, dates from 1946. So it takes me a while to make stuff. The shifter extension peg is about 2 hours work, and then there’s the material cost too. What would you be willing to pay for one?

Participant

Yes, interested, depending on price. But shoot me a pm. Thank you! 😀

rod frostrod frost
    Participant

Great job! I would buy a pair too! I’m surprised there isn’t extended pegs out there, for the Husky  401/701s. I was able to find bigger pegs for my 390 Duke but not the 401.   https://mc-motoparts.com/products/fit-ktm-rear-touring-25mm-extension-foot-pegs?rq=mk_ktm~md_390-duke~yr_2013-2018

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Thanks Rod, but it’s not the actual foot pegs I’m on about. Just the toe shifter that you put your toe under to shift up a gear. And then it’s just the left side (gear change side) as I don’t have a problem with the brake pedal side, probably due to the fact that you don’t need to put your toe under it at any point.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Nice touch, I did the same with my brake lever. Went through my bolt bucket and found a 0.5″ spacer in the right diameter and a longer bolt.

I put the shifter knob in the rearward hole for a better reach (the 701 has two threaded holes for the brake and shifter knob).

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

@scg_motox pm sent.

Yeah, a spacer and longer bolt would work too.

Alas the 401 doesn’t have the luxury of multiple peg holes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.