Security bolts for Roadlok?

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by AvatarRed5.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa
    Participant

In another post about the Roadlok security device that you fit to the front wheel, someone mentioned it would be a good idea to replace the standard allen cap head bolts (that bolt the radially-mounted front brake caliper to the fork) for security bolts. This would stop a thief from removing these bolts with a readily-available allen key in an attempt to remove the Roadlok. Now, having studied my Roadlok I don’t think that would actually help the thief as the Roadlok would still be attached to the brake disc (like any other disc lock) and the bike would still be un-rideable. But I did remove one of the caliper mounting bolts to ascertain it’s size to see if a security-headed version was available.

Alas the bolt not a common thread type as it is an M8 x 1mm thread pitch (fine pitch), and M8 bolts are usually M8 coarse thread pitch of 1.25mm. The bolt is 80mm long with a thread length of 30mm, and I could find no suitable security-type replacement. But I thought I’d post on here in case someone else has better luck in finding such a bolt. The only thing I could think of would be to drill out the fine pitch threads in the fork leg, and fit a helicoil that gave a standard M8 pitch of 1.25mm, but I am not going to do this as it’s quite a bit of surgery on the bike for dubious benefit.

Participant

Hey. Did you end up buying the Roadlok system? I bought mine a couple months ago directly from the manufacturer in the US. I am pretty happy with it. Love the clean look and that I don’t have to carry a heavy lock with me. If you buy directly from Roadlock it is much cheaper than buying the Husqvarna branded version. It is exactly the same product. You will need to contact them via email due to  the fact that they don’t advertise the version which will fit the Svartpilen on their website. In my case the lock came with new bolts and spacers of different lengths since it can fit different bikes. I did not have to buy new bolts. You are exactly right… it is not possible to remove the system when it is locked. You can unscrew the bolts… but the lock itself goes through the break disc and you won’t be able to turn the wheel.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Yep, I bought the Roadlok and I think it’s a great piece of kit. I bought the one from Husqvarna before I found out that I could have bought directly from Roadlok themselves and saved money. Hindsight is a wonderful thing! I think it’s very cheeky of Husqvarna to charge so much extra for it.

I only wish that they made a Roadlok that fitted bikes with conventionally (axially) mounted brake calipers too. I have a Yamaha MT-07 and I would love to fit the Roadlok system to it if only I could, but alas my Yamaha doesn’t have radially mounted calipers.

Participant

I’m not sure if it’s appropriate to be posting here but I have a brand new Roadlok XRA Eurosport 80 (XRA-080) that I had purchased with the intent of using on a SV401 for sale. I ended up not purchasing the SV so have no use for the lock. Please DM me for price/photos.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.