Seat Thickness & Shaving

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

First-time poster here, but long-time lurker. I’m in the market for a Vitpilen/Svartpilen 401, but unfortunately as a shorter (and newer) rider, I have all the concerns about seat height that we’ve all already seen. I’m already set on using a lowering kit to lower the bike 30mm, but my real question is whether it would be possible to shave down the seat to get another 1 – 1.5″ out of it. Has anyone done this before, and just from riding, what do you think would be reasonable?

I’m 5’4″ – 5’5″ with a 29 – 30″ inseam. I also weigh about 127 lbs, so I may be able to get a little bit more agressive with the shaving than say if I was heavier. My goal isn’t to be able to flat foot, but getting closer to the ground would give me a a bit more confidence.

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate any insight you can provide on this.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Avatartimloudly.
    RossRoss
    Participant

I’m not sure this is a good bike for you. I think as a starter bike you might be better off with a grom, JMO

Participant

Thanks. I’ve started with the grom and am actually looking to move up now. But that’s a good seat height to compare with. Ideally, I’d love to be able to get it down to around the 780-790mm region, given that there’s going to be some static sag to take me closer to the ground too. Just curious if the combination of the lowering kit (down to 805mm) plus shaving another 15-25mm is possible.

rod frostrod frost
    Participant

Tim I’m 5’8″ and 126lb. and 66 years old. The Svartpilen  is a little high for me  but its light and easy to ride. I have all kinds of bikes, including a 900 lb Road King, which is most likely 2 or 3 inches lower, but takes a more skills at slower speeds because of the weight.    Buy the bike you’re missing out on all the fun 🙂

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I doubt you could realistically shave much thickness out of the seat without making it almost unusable and extremely uncomfortable. It’s already very thin as it is. I’m 5′ 6.5″ and my bike is lowered with the official Husqvarna lowering kit (Note my bike is pre-2020MY, the lowering kit isn’t for the new 2020MY bikes). I have no problems at all even though I can’t ‘flat foot’ my bike. But I can touch the ground on both sides with the balls of my feet, and I ride with the ‘left foot down’ method anyway, and rarely put both feet down at the same time.

I replied to your DM with more details, hope it helps with your decision. It is possible to buy riding boots with thicker soles that give you a height boost, so combining this with a lowering kit might be good enough for you. I’m sure that after you’ve been riding for a while you’ll be confident enough to ride taller bikes, especially if they are as lightweight as the ‘Pilens are. As Rod Frost says, it’s got a lot to do with weight as well as height of the bike. My Harley is harder to ride slowly and corner slowly because it’s 100kg heavier than my Svart, even though the seat is much lower.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by VanessaVanessa.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.