Runs cool in cold weather. Thermostat?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    purloined
    Participant

2018 Vitpilen here.

Do these bikes have a thermostat constricting coolant flow when the bike is cold? Or does it just circulate coolant unrestricted?

Obviously a temp sensor that engages the cooling fan when the temperature rises.

I have and do ride in cold temps, I was out on it yesterday, the ambient temp was about 40ºF. and it did, and historically does, take forever to come up to normal temperature in cool temps judging by the display gauge. On a warm day it rises pretty rapidly. Three bars forever when it is cold.

Thanks in advance.

Scubadubbers
    Participant

3 bars is fine.  The oil viscosity will be fine at those temps, even on a cold day.  If you are truly that concerned, you can run a different oil during the cooler time of the year.

Vanessa
    Participant

In cold weather, say below 5 degC, my bike will take a good 15 mins of gentle warm-up riding (40mph max) to warm up the coolant. Even then, the temp gauge hovers around the 3 bar reading.

In the summer (20 degC or more) it warms up very fast and shows 4 bars on the gauge.

I think this is normal operation. The temp gauge on these bikes seems to be only lightly damped, meaning it will show small fluctuations. On most modern cars, the temp gauge (if there even is one) is heavily damped and hence does not show these fluctuations. I have checked and re-bled my cooling system of my 2019 401, and it has been fine with no issues.

As long as the fan cuts in to stop it getting too hot, and it’s full of good quality coolant, I wouldn’t worry too much.

purloined
    Participant

Thanks for weighing in.

Makes sense that it would be a longer slog to reach operating temp when it is cold out. I was more concerned about the oil actually coming up to temp, tho the gauge is probably measuring coolant, not oil temp, so maybe the oil is okay. But it’s properties are inhibited when it is cold.

More curious if anyone knows if there is a thermostat on the bike that is constricting coolant flow at low temp or if it just circulates without metering.

Scubadubbers
    Participant

@purloined

It does have a coolant thermostat.  It is located behind the ignition coil on the left side.

Thermostat

purloined
    Participant

Very cool, Scubadubbers.  Thanks for the info and for posting.

I will now take to finger-wagging while I watch the temp gauge crawl like molasses.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.