Reverse Polarity on Gauge LCD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey peeps,

I have been a habitual lurker for quite some time and finally picked up a 2020 Vitpilen 701! I have only been able to put about 100 miles on it due to weather in Utah lately….. She is definitely fun and beautiful!

First mod was to improve the gauge cluster, I couldn’t stand it in stock form. About 20 minutes and a sheet of LCD polarizer and I have a much better looking cluster!  If anyone has any questions about the process I’d be happy to help. Really looking forward to more mods and more riding (when the weather is better….)

E

Participant

Forgot to attach pics…

Luwys007Luwys007
    Participant

@E WOW. this looks great !! how was this done i am really interested. Also how difficult was this mod to complete?

Participant

Not difficult at all, it was a little unnerving pulling the factory polarizer off. Removed headlight mount, removed gauge cluster, removed lenses from cluster, removed cover (thing with the logo and RPM number on it) from the cluster, and then used a razor blade to start to peel up the polarizer from the LCD screen.

After the old polarizer and adhesive is removed from the lcd screen you take it back out to the bike and plug it back in. Turn the bike on, take the new polarizer and place it over the cluster.  Spin the polarizer until you find what shade etc you like best. Mark the orientation of the polarizer (I used a sticky note),  turn the bike off and take the cluster back off.

Use the old polarizer as a template and line up with your orientation mark. Cut out your new polarizer,  apply it to the LCD (make sure everything is super clean), reassemble the cluster and put the bike back together. I spent a total of 30 minutes to do this.

Hope this helps!

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Wow! That looks flippin’ awesome! I might have to try this myself if I can pluck up enough courage to give it a go.

Luwys007Luwys007
    Participant

That doesn’t sound to bad. where did you source the polarized film?

Participant

You can pick it up from Amazon among other places (just google LCD polarizer). I recommend going with gloss and not matte, it let’s more light through.  Also, ensure you get one with adhesive on it.

Participant

If you could post a link of what film would work well for us who are not familiar with this would be helpful! id  love to do this to my 401

@E I’m curious about this but I don’t fully understand. Are you installing a new polarizing film that is essentially the same as the stock film, but putting it at a different orientation which changes the appearance? Or are you using a film with a different type of tint? Sorry I have never worked with polarizing film. Also it looks like your modified gauge just has a darker tint to it compared to stock?

After doing this mod, do you think it would be possible to use a colored tint over the stock polarizing film? Or would this make the gauge much harder to see? I have a yellow tint on my headlight that I really like, i’d be curious if this might look good on my gauge too. Worst case I could try it, and just remove it if it didn’t work. Thanks for your insight,

Participant

Personnellement je n’ai pas bien compris . Une vidéo ou tutto est possible ? Merci

Participant

To answer your question, yes you are using the same type of film in a different orientation. There are some colored options out there (I’d like to try the blue), perhaps you can give it a try!

Colored Polarizer Film

I don’t know how much of a difference it would make, odds are adding another layer would reduce the amount of light coming through and potentially make the gauges harder to see.

If you are looking for the regular polarizer here is a link:

Polarizer w/ adhesive

I ended up using the non-adhesive sheet (because I was testing it out) found here:

Polarizer Film, non-adhesive

Hope this helps!

Participant

I didn’t take any video or pictures of the process but this should give you an idea

Participant

is disconnecting the dash at 3:10 in the video similar to the vitpilen?

Participant

Yes, somewhat similar.

mitchotmitchot
    Participant

Interesting mate, I like the look of it very much. How does it go for daytime riding and visibility? I don’t find it too bad as it is, sometimes the sun reflects badly but I think that is moreso to do with the design and the lense on top.

In the day, do you find you can read the white on black ok?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.