Red dust on Svartpilen drive sprocket?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Went to clean and lube the chain on my 2018 Svartpilen and noticed this red dust. This is under a cover so I don’t think it came from outside elements. I don’t recall it from the previous time I lubed the chain/opened the cover. Does anyone know what this is caused by?

Participant

Looks like surface rust to me…..

Did you ride through the rain or wet conditions and then let the bike sit for a while?

Not sure where you live, but in a warm and humid climate, that might be enough to cause that kind of surface rust.

Lightly wire brush it off, and add some chain lube to protect.

Good luck,

ECJ

Participant

Thanks. No rain or wet conditions. Although on my last lube application I went very light on the lube and the chain was practically dry by the next time I serviced it. So my guess is it is surface rust as you say. I went a little heavier on the lube this time around.

There are conflicting reports online about red dust saying it could be the sign that the chain is ready to be replaced.

Participant

Looking more closely at your images, I also see some minor rust on your chain as well. I think it was maybe ‘under lubed’ as you also suggest, causing it to lightly rust in areas.

These are quality chains, and with even a modicum of decent maintenance (periodic cleaning and lubrication, and proper tension), should easily last 10K miles (and probably a lot more)…..

How many miles are on the bike?

ECJ

B.I.SavageB.I.Savage
    Participant

Mine looks like that too and my chain / stock ktm front sprocket were replaced fairly recently.

My chain is always lubed thanks to the Cobrra Oiler.

Is this not normal for everyone?

Participant

the stock chain sucks its too fat and clunky,changed it to a DID 520 vx3 118links if my memory is good and installed cobra oiller nemo 2 as well, i run it with 60% off road motorex full synth chain oil & 40% chainsaw bio resin oil with extra sticking power

i also used a type wax spray on food grade  basis to cover  all over frame parts also the cat cause it looks also fast ranzy (1 min of smell when it runs the first time but great look for month)

found that out when i placed bolts into the empty frame holes cause there was a bunch of surface rust…guess that came from salty roads & dusty parking lot

– but may its partial the x ring that gets fragil and ripped to dust…

my dealer told me with good lubrication  they could do easy 15000-20000 km with the stock chain

i have my doubts…anyway   since the swap iam pretty happy with it…

• This reply was modified 6 days, 4 hours ago by Avatar-373-Arrow.
    • This reply was modified 6 days, 4 hours ago by Avatar-373-Arrow.
    VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I have an RK x-ring chain on my 401. Works fine. I lube it with s-doc100 white chain wax, but I spray the wax into the lid of the spray can and then use a flat 1cm wide high quality paint brush and paint all 4 sides of each link individually by hand. Takes a little while, but there is not one speck of rust on my chain, and no overspray or fling-off of lube on the bike. I check each link while doing so. Put the bike on a stand, make myself a nice hot drink, put some decent music on, and get down and personal with my chain 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.