Rear Sprocket 2 or 3 teeth less

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Fred from franceFred from france
    Participant

Hello,

I’m wondering to install a  rear sprocket with 2 or 3 teeth less for cruising  because I find the 3 first gear really very short and the sixth one also, near 6500 rpm at 100 km/h.

I’m looking for flexibility and a lower engine speed in quiet driving mode.

did anyone already try?

“Je m’interroge sur l’installation d’une couronne arrière avec 2 ou 3 dents en moins pour cruiser en sixième car je trouve les 3 premiers rapports vraiment très court et le sixième également, près de 6500 tr / min à 100 km / h.

Je recherche la flexibilité et un régime moteur plus bas en mode de conduite tranquille.

Est-ce que quelqu’un a déjà essayé?”

Participant

Hi there

you will get the same result with one tooth larger front sprocket and you will most likely not have to change your chain.

I did this to my KTM and along with a Booster plug it became smooth as butter.

cheers

Fred from franceFred from france
    Participant

Thanks for your answer

Do you know where the speed is measured on the svart? after the change will the speed be always correct?

Participant

Hi Mate

It’s on the back, same as the KTM Duke.

If there was a difference on the speedo it was nominal to the point I never noticed it.

One thing to note, I did the change to make it more smooth and then low and behold I missed the low end torque, even though the change is very subtle. I also missed the excitement of the jerky lean running if I wasn’t on top of my clutch control.

I also ride a Vulcan S, that is very twitchy, even with a Booster plug and a Delk exhaust, that has improved my clutch work to the point that my new svart feels like a purring kitten in comparison!

Good thing about the front sprocket change is it is very cheap and easy to reverse.

cheers.

Participant

I also changed the front sprocket to 16, much better and less likely to cause clearance issues with the chain and swing arm..

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by AvatarStumpi.
    Participant

so a 16t front sprocket still fits? (also on the Vit 401?)

Participant

Best mod I’ve done to my Svartpilen 401 is changing the rear sprocket to a 42T. The larger 16T front sprocket from DrivenRacing that fits the Vitpilen has too big a shaft diameter for the Svartpilen!

I loved the bike before but now, it’s like riding an upgraded one. In 3rd at 30 to 45mph it is great. In 4th it cruises nicely at 50 to 60mph without feeling the need to shift to 5th. I haven’t pushed it in 6th yet so don’t know its top end!

I have also fitted the Akrapovic slip on and a booster plug. Had it Dyno tested and it runs with perfect air/fuel mix through all gears and Rev ranges. Not at all lean. The test was before fitting the smaller rear sprocket so torque and power output will be different now but was almost exactly as Husqvarna quote in the manual.

Participant

Hi everyone!

When dealing with sprocket ratios the best thing to do after purchasing is use a sprocket calculator:

https://sprocketcalculator.com/calculate

So you can estimate torque to the rear wheel, speed variation and chain length.

Best cruising option is 43 teeth rear sprocket, original 15 teeth on front. No need to alter chain length.

Better rear sprocket are those made aluminum core and iron crown…

Regards!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by AvatarAthal.
    Participant

Hi everyone!

When dealing with sprocket ratios the best thing to after purchasing is use a sprocket calculator:

https://sprocketcalculator.com/calculate

So you can estimate torque to the rear wheel, speed variation and chain length.

Best cruising option is 43 teeth rear sprocket, original 15 teeth on front. No need to alter chain length.

Better rear sprocket are those made aluminum core and iron crown…

Regards!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.