Rear Brake Light Adjustment

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by JohnnyLightning JohnnyLightning 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    JohnnyLightning
    JohnnyLightning
    Participant

Does anybody know how to adjust the rear brake light so that it comes on with slight pressure from the pedal? I’ve encountered several occasions where someone’s driving up my butt and I’ve had to use my front brake to activate the light to keep from getting rear-ended…just happened again >=-(

From day 1, the brake light comes on at 2/3’s the travel of the pedal. Furthermore, the bike’s been in for service twice and the issue was overlooked both times.

Although I haven’t checked the manual, I’ve visually searched for the brake switch myself numerous times without any luck and I can’t imagine having to remove the rear set to get to it.

Is it at the caliper end?…that would be weird.

JohnnyLightning
    JohnnyLightning
    Participant

Also, while looking for the switch, I noticed the brake piston pin has a hole…isn’t there supposed to be a cotter pin, a retention wire or something?

mitch
    Participant

Pretty sure it’s a hydraulic pressure switch. Which would make it not adjustable.

Buddah
    Buddah
    Participant

Why not use the front brake? I newer touch the rear 🙂 As mitch says its probably pressure activated.

JohnnyLightning
    JohnnyLightning
    Participant

Yeah guys…it’s a hydraulic switch alright.

Do you think changing it out will solve the problem? I can clearly see where it’s connected through the brake line therefore, it will need bleeding so I’d rather not mess with it if the new switch won’t resolve it.

mitch
    Participant

I could see spending hours on the internet trying to find a switch that both fits and is more sensitive, only to buy something that in the end doesn’t fit. Random parts defeat. But if you find something that would be really helpful to everyone!

How much free play do you have? You could just adjust that bolt so that the lever’s resting position is closer to actuated. Would that help?

But MOST OF ALL put a cotter pin in that hole ASAP! Mine has one.

mitch
    Participant

Also, maybe report that missing pin to Hisqvarna and your dealer. And maybe the mods here should start a known issues category… Maybe in place of “preorders” and “media”. It might help keep people safe.

mitch
    Participant

One last thing… where did you find that the switch is connected? At the pedal side, I see the fluid line out to the reservoir, and the line out to the ABS module. At the caliper side the only wiring I see is the ABS module. Is the switch up in the ABS module?

JohnnyLightning
    JohnnyLightning
    Participant

Thanks mitch,

I did not physically see it…I wouldn’t  know what to look for. However, I know KTM uses the same braking system so I searched online and was provided with these results:

#36 on Diagram and link:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Tusk-Hydraulic-Brake-Switch-for-BREMBO-KTM-Husqvarna-Husaberg-Motorcycle/1540101067?iid=172696919358&chn=ps

mitch
    Participant

The bike doesn’t match the diagram, though. There’s no wired switch there, just a standard banjo fitting bolt. It’s the Torx bolt in the second photo in your initial post. So they must have moved it somewhere else.

jimmyahh
    Participant

I was thinking about your issue and have a different idea to solve it. I am planning on changing to a smaller set up and a rear fender delete. I am not going with a full fender delete, but just want a smaller set up for turn sigs and running lights that I put down in the low factory spot. I am looking at some stuff from ebay like Rear Tail Assembly Most of these have: Turn Sigs, Running Lights, and Brake Light. Down there, there isn’t wire for the brake light. You could wire that additional brake light down there to a button on your handle bars. That way you could flash that additional brake light when needed without bringing the brakes into the mix. You could even wire it to the flash of the high beam for simplicity. It might be a little extra work wiring, but would be slick. You would have your standard brake light and a “get the f*ck away from me” light.

Just a thought.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  jimmyahh.

jimmyahh
    Participant

Careful, getting too used to all front brake braking is the perfect formula for a low side crash.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  jimmyahh.
    JohnnyLightning
    JohnnyLightning
    Participant

@jimmyahh, it sounds like an option but I just can’t even seem to imagine where the brake switch is buried. I’m still applying very light pressure on my front brake whenever a quick stopping situation arises in order to avoid a possible rear-end but yeah, I believe there has to be an adjustment for the light somewhere that I’ve overlooked.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.