Rear axel nut and tail fell off while riding

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was slowing through a curve and heard a clunk. All of a sudden the tail light and license plate assembly hits me in the leg. I managed to stop smoothly without the wheel falling off. And I somehow found the rear axel nut up the hill about 25 yards away.  Anyone else have this happen? Only 1000 miles on the bike. I had the bike serviced by the dealer about 400 miles ago. Everything is original. It baffles me how the axel nut would just fall off.
    Fortunately I was able to get it put back together with my toolkit. Is there supposed to be a lock washer or something to keep pressure on the axel nut?

DuctTapeDuctTape
    Participant

Wow! Do you know if the dealer adjusted the chain during the first service? In any case, it looks like they dropped the ball, someone must’ve forgotten to torque it appropriately.

Participant

Duct Tape, damn right. Dealer dropped the ball

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I am very wary of riding my bike after it’s been to the dealer. When I collected my bike from new, first ride taking it home from the dealer, a distance of over 50 miles, when I got home, the rear reflector had dropped off, and the chain was so slack you could put a tool between it and the rear sprocket and simply prise it off the sprocket with ease. I was a bit shocked, but glad it hadn’t come off while I was riding home. Needless to say, I set the chain tension myself immediately, and went over the whole bike with a fine tooth comb before riding it again.

Participant

Dealer is going to replace the entire swing arm assembly for free. They were very apologetic. But now I am getting wary of the swing arm. I think I’ll install a tail tidy when I get it back.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.