Radiator Grill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I know the Vitpilen 401 is brand spankin’ new, but their lack of protection support worries me. Undoubtedly, Husky will eventually have all the accessories needed to keep our bikes safe, but in the meantime I doesn’t hurt to spend 25 dollars on a radiator grill. I work at an auto dealer and I know how often radiators/condensers get punctured in the most auspicious way.

I went ahead and bought a 390 Duke radiator grill, cut to fit, and repainted (to prevent rust + black out the DUKE logo in the middle bottom). It literally took me 10 minutes. 10 minutes + radiator grill > new radiator

before and after

https://vitpilenforum.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/777/7ejf3k678ecna71wx2006xeb46tro3xl.jpg

phishbed
    Keymaster

Wow! That’s impressive work! It looks factory!

Stumpkin
    Participant

Thanks for the post, I was wondering if the Duke grill fit. I have the Svartpilen and the fact that they could put those tires and that front fender on a scramblerish bike without even offering some sort radiator protection in their parts catalog is kinda shocking.

HusqLove
    Participant

Did you have to remove any parts to put the grille on?

HusqLove
    Participant

Or do you you just bend the grille slightly and snap it into the frame?

HusqLove
    Participant

Never mind. I see now from the photos that the mounting screws must be in the same places on the Husqvarna as on the Duke & you just cut the screen to fit the shape of the radiator.

Travis
    Participant

What did you use to cut the screen? Mine arrives today. My radiator is already covered in bugs, hoping this will prevent damage and bent fins.

Anonymous

I used a cut off wheel. i think i cut off off the sides until i got a total length of 11.5 inches. then i ground down each side + the corners after test fitting. remember to hit it with some spray paint + clear coat to avoid rust in the future

GorData
    Participant

Can I have a link to where you guys purchased the grill from?

JohnnyLightning
    Participant

Every time this thread pops up I think of Rock The Casbah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9r8LMU9bQ

Anonymous
    HusqLove
    Participant

I found two on eBay listed as ‘Black stainless radiator grille guard cover protector for KTM Duke 390 2013-2016’. The manufacturer listed is Lanqian, the same one I bought from Amazon. For some reason one of them is $24.26, the other $36.99. The manufacturer and photos are the same. I paid the higher price for mine. The seller for the lower price one is listed as usmyi-moto, seller for higher priced is us10yi, both out of Hong Kong.

HusqLove
    Participant

For some reason the item description says “The cap comes with a aluminum vent cap.” I have no idea what the hell that refers to. Must be a mistake.

CanisMoto
    Participant

Here’s my grill work. The same as kalvinsaid, but with the addition of a Husky badge donated from an obliging Husky mower!

grill

CanisMoto
    Participant

One thing I have noticed since installing the radiator grill. The bike runs slightly hotter with the grill on…not that surprising since there will obviously be slightly less air flow through the radiator with the grill there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.