Quickshifter Question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all, the Svartpilen 701 is my first bike with a quickshifter.  I get how it works but there is one thing I have not been able to find an answer to.

When downshifting with the quickshifter, do you always have to fully close the throttle?  I’ve downshifted a few time at part throttle and it seemed to work seamlessly too.

Let say I’m cruising at 4k rpms in 5th gear, I can keep the throttle at say 30%, downshift to 3rd gear and it works perfectly.

I guess I’m asking this because everyone seems to say that you should fully close the throttle before downshifting with a quickshifter but our bikes don’t seem to care.

Have any of you tried this?  Thoughts?

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

If you leave the throttle partly open you’re actually helping the quickshifter. No need to, but it won’t hurt imho.

Participant

That actually makes sense.  It rev-matches and then maintains said revs.  It feels really smooth when I do it.  Thanks for confirming!

Participant

Owner’s manual says the throttle should be open for both up and down quickshifting

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Throttle open for downshifts, sure about that? No one does that.

The whole point of a quickshifter/blipper is to forget about the clutch or revmatching… On the Vit it works better the faster you ride is my experience.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Max KoolMax Kool.
    Participant

Max Kool, I do it when I want to shift to a lower gear while maintaining my current speed.  Let’s say I’m cruising at 3000rpm in 4th, engine is bogging a bit, maintain throttle, downshift to 3rd, keep on cruising.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Yeah that makes sense, revmatching. I do that too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.