Poor brake 701 vs 690 w/o ABS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I’m a happy owner of a 701 Vitpilen 2019.

But I have too a 690 SMC R 2012 and I feel some things that not improve the 701 vs 690

Power and feeling front brake in 690 are much better than 701. 690 don’t have ABS, and the whole parts are different. Any part is the same.

I’m sure the extra parts and long wiring of the ABS system is a big guilty of this big differences.

And the other big difference is the hardest clutch lever. In the 690 is like butter, very very soft. In this case, I can’t understand why becouse the system in both bikes is very similar (different bomb, but same wiring and slave clutch).

Anybody knows how I can smoth the clutch lever ?

Thanks

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Ah, a tough clutch lever. Not saying you have the same problem as my bike had, but something worth checking.

Since I got my Vitpilen 701 I found the clutch kinda heavy. Not dramatically but a bit of a disappointment. I didn’t pay much much attention to it because I had no reference. Until recently, when I noticed my clutch lever wouldn’t move all the way back when I release the clutch. Up to the point where it started slipping. Something was blocking the return of the piston.

I decided to take the master cylinder on the left bar apart, and indeed the plunger moved in and out very heavy, and wouldn’t even come out of the master cylinder. I replaced the piston for a new one from Magura and my clutch is super light now.

Irt to the front brake, the stock brake pads may be the first thing to look at. I replaced them with Brembo SC pads which made a remarkable difference. Or maybe EBC HH, I have good experience with them on other bikes too. Although there’s a lot of brake hose on our bikes with the ABS, they’re all braided lines. I don’t think that’s the reason.

Good luck, keep us posted

Participant

I have to say that I also found the brakes on this bike really disasappointing in stock form.  My practical complaint was too much lever pull to go from no brake to full brake.  I started by bleeding the system.  I’m not trying to toot my own horn but I’m a master bleeder.  Every bike I’ve ever had I could get really firm brake feel in the lever, without a lot of distance/travel/pull in the lever.  The bleeding helped, but definitely didn’t satisfy me.  I went straight to a replacement Brembo 15RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder and new brake pads.  Now I’m happy, but it’s still not quite as good as some of my other bikes.

By the way, I also owned a 690 SMC in the past which is what I was missing when I bought this bike.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Next up, a Braketech iron rotor?

David BrazilDavid Brazil
    Participant

I replaced my front brake pads with EBC HH, and it was a great change. But, I can see they are going to go through that front rotor quicker than stock, but it’s worth it.

I recommend it.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Do they? I’ve been using EBC HH on a few bikes now, and I haven’t noticed any excessive rotor wear yet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.