Plastic Ignition Cover Plug

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DAP831
    Participant

Beware, the ignition cover plug is plastic and fragile, I would highly recommend upgrading to an aluminum version. I inspected my valve clearance the other day and the plug cracked inside the hex key broach when reinstalling it. It now leaks so bad it is unrideable until an aluminum replacement part arrives. I didn’t put a torque wrench on it, because I didn’t have a hex socket that big, but I feel like my elbow is well calibrated after years of wrenching on racing bicycles, it broke really easily. The hex broach is so big there is very little material there.

Myel
    Participant

pics?

DAP831
    Participant

I cut it in half, the arrow indicates where the crack is, be extra gentle

Qwandree

Hurray for our LEGO snap-together bike!

DAP831
    Participant

While some of the things about the bike have been frustrating, like this.  For the most part it has been positive. My valves were all in spec after 1400 miles.  The process of checking the valves is  relatively easy. The right exhaust valve was a pain in the ass, even with really narrow motion pro bent feeler gauges. The others were easy, and you don’t really need the locking tool that the manual calls out for. Nor do you need the special spring clamp pliers the manual call for to pull the clamp on the head vent hose. The process for changing shims looks to be pretty simple too, not as easy as my ’08 SMR510, but not bad.

Every motorcycle has it’s quirks, even the more boring Japanese ones

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.