Oxford Handguards fitted to SP401

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I fitted these Oxford handguards to my SP401 a little while back:

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/handlebar_accessories/oxford_premium_handguard_with_aluminium_lever_guards_pair/

Have been quite pleased with them as they seem to suit the look of the bike, plus they do provide a moderate level of wind protection to the backs of my hands/fingers when riding at speed.

I had to remove the OEM bar ends and the internal weights, but I didn’t notice any adverse affects on handlebar vibrations. These handguards come with some anodised black aluminium sleeves to cover the space between the grips and the bar-end arms. Both sleeves are too long for the SP401. I am going to turn them down on my lathe so that they fit. The LH one needs to be 8mm and the RH one needs to be 4mm. If this goes well, I’ll post further pics, but in the meantime here are some pics showing them installed:

407guy407guy
    Participant

Very nice Vanessa!

svartroad401svartroad401
    Participant

That’s interesting. I also added a screen and replaced the mirrors with stock ktm ones ( infinitely better). I’m also looking to get handgaurds to. Any chance of an update on on how it turned out after the trim?

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Yes, I just can’t emphasise enough how much better the KTM Duke 390 mirrors are over the awful stock Husqvarna ‘mickey mouse ears’ mirrors.

I used a bandsaw and cut the Oxford trim spacers down to just over the required thicknesses, then cleaned and trued up the cut ends on the lathe, then added the 45deg chamfer to the newly turned edge, then a quick coat of black paint and put them on the bars. Secured each with a bit of black Silcoset, and they look great.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.