Oil top up question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Hi, does anyone know how much oil is needed to top up from minimum to maximum oil level as shown in the little oil level ‘window’?

My bike seems to use a LOT of oil and I’ve only done 500 miles so far so not even got to the first 620 miles service.

My Honda and Yamaha bikes use NO oil at all in comparison over the same journey usage cycles.

Participant

Vanessa-

Judging the oil level can be a little tricky……you need to make sure the bike is up to operating temp, and only view the oil sight level when the bike is level from side to side. If you measure while on the side stand, you will get a false (and low) reading, which sounds like what might be happening to you.

When empty, the bike should take approximately 1.7L to fill. Too much oil is also bad for an engine, causing increased compression, and it may foul the air filter (causing loss of power), the plugs, etc.

After getting the bike warmed up, you may need to rock it from side to side a bit (or go ride), to make sure the oil is dispersed evenly, and then view the sight glass from a level position only.

Good luck!

ECJ

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Hi, thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about getting a false oil level reading. I followed the instructions in the handbook, warmed up bike, then switched off and left for 1 min then check level with the bike upright vertically. I got my husband to help me hold the bike perfectly level when I took the readings.

After riding the bike for 500 miles the oil level had gone from max to min. I had to add 240ml of the Motorex 4T 15W50 oil to get it back to the max level. Hope that will last me until the first 620 mile service.

I spoke to two different dealers about the oil consumption and they both said that it was not unusual. One dealer (CPS of Hinckley) said I was being too gentle with the revs during the running in phase, and that I needed to thrash the engine a bit and “get the red light flashing”. They said that the oil consumption would drop once the running in period was over and I had ridden the bike harder.

Not had this issue with any other bike before (Honda and Yamaha).

Also I keep getting the “CAN ABS failure” warning randomly flickering once every 5 rides or so, and erratic fuel gauge and range to empty readings. Not too impressed with that, hopefully the dealer can sort these issues out during the first service…?

Participant

Vanessa-

Keep in mind that the oil level only needs to be somewhere in between the two lines, and not necessarily at ‘max’. I would finish the break in, perform the service, and see if things level out with regards to oil consumption.

Keep us posted,

ECJ

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

I’ll surely post on oil consumption after the running in service, when the bike has had some decent runs and about 1000 miles.

One thing I have noticed since topping up the oil is that the engine runs noticeably cooler. The fan doesn’t cut in as often and the engine takes less time to cool down after a run before I can put the bike cover on.

Participant

This is my first single-cylinder engine and i was surprised also by the oil consomption. After  searching the web, i seems to be usual for this type of engine.

(Google Trad)

On a bike, large unit (large bore) and, moreover, air-cooled, you can not have a weak game between the piston and its cylinder => consequently, there is always oil passing . This oil will be burned in the engine and its products eliminated by the exhaust system. If you burn (relatively) little oil, the output of your pot will be just a little black (soot) and not fat. (It will become fat when you consume a lot of oil) This phenomenon is aggravated (lubricant consumption) when the engine is cold, when it runs quickly, when the exhaust is released and depending on the viscosity of your lubricant (hot and cold). The more your oil has a low cold index, the more consumption will be present. You will consume more oil with a 5W50 than a 20W50, but beware, correlate, you calamineras more your engine and you will use your engine more with a 20W50 than a 5W50. (The 100% synthetic 5W50 with a very low ash content) Everything is a matter of compromise. Be you opted for reduced oil consumption, or for a conso more important. In any case: you will not cut it. WARNING, so always ride with oil and do not put too much !!! This is valid regardless of the engine whether it is a 6 cylinder 250 cc liquid cooling or a big mono of 2,000 cc, air cooled, there is always a consumption of lubricant. This consumption must be contained and acceptable. In your case, it can very well reach the 1 liter to the Km Km, without this being abnormal. The good attitude would be to put an oil, not too expensive (Super market direction ….) and make the appoints that seem acceptable ….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.