Oil leak?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Fred from france Fred from france 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kirill
    Participant

Got my new 2018 Vitpilen 701 yesterday and after a few miles noticed what looks like an oil leak on the left side of the engine. I guess I should take it to the dealer next week.

Has anyone had the same issue? I guess it’s better not to ride it in the meantime?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatar Kirill.
    NeoRetro
    Participant

it’s not oil, it’s grease from the chain. the bikes come from the factory with a lot of grease on the chain that burns off. i stopped getting that excess grease after a few dozen miles, but i get it again after i clean and re-grease the chain.

enjoy the new motorcycle, it’s tons of fun

p.s. keep in eye on the clutch fluid reservoir, the 2018 models have a faulty o-ring on the slave cylinder. it’s been discussed on this forum.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatar NeoRetro.
    Kirill
    Participant

Thanks! That made me feel better.

Another problem came up though – apparently, my dealer didn’t deactivate the transport mode which blocks ignition after you ride the bike for an hour or so. Had to tow it back to my garage…

swziy
    Participant

Well, I had the same problem. Don’t ignore this. My dealer said that there is some kind of grease seal on front rack. This part needs to be replaced or sealed again with repair toolkit.

Evilxardas
    Participant

Hello guys! I’ve just bought a svartpilen 701 and i have the same problem of the first pic. Any others feedback? Is it motor oil or just grasse from the chain?
    I am a little bit worried 🙂

Kirill
    Participant

it’s grease from the chain

Fred from france
    Fred from france
    Participant

On new bikes the chain must be clean before use, clean the chain and every grease or oil and use your grease on the chain. It will probably solve your probleme… or confirm that there is a matter.

Evilxardas
    Participant

Ok, i will do it this weekend.
    WD40 is a good brand? what is better: Chain lub or chain wax?
    Thank you 🙂

Zapf
    Zapf
    Participant

Do not use WD40..

watch the following vids

Fred from france
    Fred from france
    Participant

Personally I use oil to clean the chain and the grease tube motule that sticks better to the chain

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.