Off center front wheel

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    TEGDOG
    Participant

Took my 2022 in this week and was told thats h0w they are setup, I havent noticed any excessive lean just looking at the bike head on it is noticable though.

ryanjorunner
    Participant

I found my front wheel off center as well. I put it in my bike truing stand and brought it in to center by tensioning the disc side spokes more.

I found in the manual that the spec on both sides of spokes have the same torque value (4 n.m. IIRC). The disc side offset should require more tension to bring the wheel into center. so, I believe this is a factory spec issue that will affect most if not all front wheels.

The rear wheel is more symmetric, having a drive sprocket on one side and disc rotor on the other, so a consistent spoke tension shouldn’t cause too much offset.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by ryanjorunner.
    Svartarse
    Participant

That sounds like a good solution. I had come across this whilst looking into it but most of the reading was regarding the rear wheel of a bicycle, where the rear wheel is dished to accommodate for the freehub.

Fair play for doing it yourself, I might have a go but I’ve found a local wheel maker who could probably do it in a fraction of the time for a small fee.

I know for a fact It’s something that will niggle at me regardless of it’s impact on the ride, to me the front wheel needs to be centred between the forks.

Vanessa
    Participant

The wheel used to be in the centre on earlier models though, so maybe by fitting the earlier model axle spacers you could get it back on the centreline?

Svartarse
    Participant

It would be good to know exactly what changed but as suggested by the op and ryanjorunner most likely that the wheel itself is now built in such a way that this is how they are from the factory, saving money and time on production no doubt. Someone would have signed it off saying this is acceptable and within tolerances. It will of course met all the safety standards for wherever it is sold so it’s certainly nothing to panic about. There are lots of things I plan on doing, this is just another to added the list.

Svartarse
    Participant

For anyone who’s interested, this shows what needs to be done to correct the offset.

Note: tyre should be deflated

https://youtu.be/EXIwOjJ1t0E

Svartarse
    Participant

So… finally got round to picking up my Svartpilen 22’ today. There were 4x 401’s in the dealers. Mine and another had a slight offset, the other two looked pretty central to me. Which to me says it’s either been addressed recently or is just an acceptable tolerance.

LordFlasheart
    Participant

Aznable Rey
    Participant

To those talking about involuntary lean when hands are off the bars… I have a slightly off-center front wheel (which is also untrue and needs to be taken to the shop) on a bike with about 1300 miles.  If I take my hands off the bars, my bike stays balanced without an issue.  In fact, this is the only bike I’ve had that doesn’t go bananas without pressure on the bars.

I had an FZ8 that would lean easily, and a Bolt that would almost get into a tank slapper.  Riding the Bolt was not relaxing, to say the least.

Svartarse
    Participant

Been a while since I’ve posted on this but I’ve been tinkering with my bike. I adjusted the front wheel as per the instructions in an earlier post and it worked out very well indeed.

Got me thinking about the rear wheel and the whole leaning to the right thing which was happening on my bike. So I looked at the bike from the rear and clear as day the rear wheel was offset to the left as looking from the rear.

This totally made sense now as to why it was leaning. Went through the same process I did with the front and the hands off lean has gone. Sorted.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.