Off center front wheel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    nuckingfoob
    Participant

Im taking it to the dealer anyway. The front wheel is radially and laterally untrue, plus I think it is imbalanced since the bike wobbles up and down slightly when going down a smooth road (but this might just be the radial runout). The bike had this up/down oscillation since I bought it brand new, and it now has 1100 miles, purchased March 1, 2022. Do your bikes have the same off-center misalignment?

Svartarse
    Participant

Did you hear anything back about this?

chazaroo
    Participant

My new 2022 Svartpilen is off-center by what looks to be the same amount as yours (about 8-10mm).  I’m very interested to hear what your dealer has to say.

Everything about the wheel hub (shaft, spacers, ABS sensor alignment, etc.) and the fender and forks all seems to be correctly aligned to me.  Pics below to see if anyone has other thoughts.

I haven’t noticed any problems with the front wheel while riding, but perhaps the wheel hub and rim were mismanufactured and are misaligned by nearly 10mm?

TEGDOG
    Participant

My 2022 looks the same, very weird never seen a front end off set like this.

gear_banger
    Participant

I have the same issue on my 22’ Vitpilen 401. I’ve been noticing the bike wants to lean to the right when coming off throttle and my whole body ends up shifting to the left to compensate. Anyone notice this as well?

what did your dealer say regarding the issue? I’ll be doing the same this weekend and will share what they report.

Svartarse
    Participant

Definitely interested on your findings.

Due to pick up my 2022 Svart in a few weeks and I’ve noticed that offset on the front wheel from looking at images online.

Would be good to hear from some 20/21 owners if it’s the same on theirs.

Vanessa
    Participant

My 2019 Svartpilen 401 does not have this off centre front wheel. It’s set bang on in the middle of the forks, along the centreline of the mudguard/fender. I’ve even fitted the longer front mudguard from the 2020-onwards model because I preferred it, and the wheel is in the centre.

Svartarse
    Participant

So it looks as though this is common to the 20-22 models from what I can tell. I’ve scoured the forums and found a few images where people have taken a shot from the front dead on and it does look off centre slightly. Whether or not it is off centre from the rear wheel is another question and whether it’s sufficient enough to be noticeable when riding I doubt very much. I’m sure if there were handling issues since 2020 they would’ve been noticed and addressed by now, or so you’d like to think.

What I would say is the images at the start of this thread make it look a lot more severe and noticeable than what it does in any of the other images taken from a bit further away.

I imagine a lot of people won’t even notice.

Still interested to see what the dealer comes back with @Gear_Banger and hope your issue is easily fixed and not something inherently wrong with the newer version.

Svartarse
    Participant

Just to add to my last post.

All 2022 models that I’ve seen have this offset.

20/21 Models – Some do, some don’t. This makes me to think something changed at some point during the 20/21 run and has carried over into 22.

Must be some 2020 and 2021 owners on here that can confirm either way?

Pistone
    Participant

My 2021 also has a 5mm shift. I like to think that it is a deliberate (albeit annoying) decentralization to better balance the 401 laterally because the weight of the exhaust pipe, which in previous models passed on the left side, now passes centrally. maybe!

gear_banger
    Participant

Update:

I went to my local dealer today to grab my plates and have the master tech take the bike for a spin.

to add, their two new Vits and two new Svarts on the showroom floor boast this off center front wheel.

The master tech explained to me that this is (obviously) not a sport bike and similar bikes like this will all have their different quirks. He did remind me that these are built in India and they are built and assembled to preform correctly and safely but, minor details like the wheel and even slight lean wheel off throttle and no hands on the handlebars are not surprising.

I’m happy with his answer and I’ll be riding on and not sweating the little things. Time to bang some gears and put some miles on her!

Svartarse
    Participant

@ Pistone Can I ask if you notice the bike wanting to lean at speed with relaxed grip same as Gear_banger?

Svartarse
    Participant

Did the tech notice the same lean when he took it out for a spin @ gear_banger?

A little bit of online searching suggests it’s actually quite a common thing on motorcycles in general. Doesn’t mean there isn’t something that could be tweaked to resolve it, chain tensioner/rear wheel alignment for example. Some people suggest it could be the way the rider is sitting, after all, we’re all different shapes and sizes and not perfectly symmetrical. As long as your confident in the way it’s handling then that’s the main thing.

Always better to ask the question and good to have your mind put at ease.

Pistone
    Participant

taking my hands off the handlebars, my feeling is that the 401 tends to lean to the right. but this also depends on the seat on the saddle and is the opposite of what should cause the front wheel to shift out of focus.

Pistone
    Participant

on the driven I have no feeling of discomfort, on the straight or on the right and left corners. I have 6000 km with my 401 with which I have an extraordinary feeling.

questo è un mio video

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.