OEM exhaust Baffle removal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Wvblackgun
    Participant

Hey guys, glad to find this forum. I know that these bikes are fairly new, and there is next to zero information on them so far, but I was wondering if anyone has removed the baffle from the OEM muffler? I know people have already done it on the Akropovic mufflers, but I really don’t want to change look of the bike, and would like to save some coin. My single cylinder 700cc sport quad sounds amazing after removal of one screw and then pulling baffle/sparky out w/ channel locks.

I guess what I’m asking is would anyone who replaced the stock muffler on the 701 be willing to dissect their old one so those of us who don’t intend to replace it would know if the stock baffle will pull out without damaging? I would if I had an akro! lol Thanks guys!

SterlingArrow
    Participant

Had a Raptor 660 when I was young and loved the oversize single. If you remove the baffle you might need to check that it’s not effecting the fuel/air mix too much but without a computer check up it might be hard to tell. My best guess would be that with the stock pipes and header and only a baffle MOD you should be fine as I’ve heard the off-road 701 has a a more free exhaust and has practically the same tune.

Let me know if I’m wrong here because I plan to do the same to save some $ as well and give me a little more sound awareness to other drivers.

BigMo
    Participant

I’m working on a tool to remove the oem baffle now. Also, with an O2 sensor it will adjust the fuel trim and not affect the bike negatively. Check my $20 tail pipe post in the general forum.

Once I complete the tool I will make a video of the removal of the baffle and post video on YouTube

SterlingArrow
    Participant

Thanks for the info, I don’t know why I was thinking a street bike could go without one.

Wvblackgun
    Participant

BigMo AWESOME! I am greatly looking forward to that!

Thanks for all the input guys.

johnlloyd
    Participant

big mo – what is your youtube channel so i can follow the video?

cheers

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by johnlloyd.
    Thomas
    Participant

Following with interest! Had a chance to test ride a Vitpilen 701 with Akrapovic slip-on (with DB killer) at an event. The sound was in my opinion a tiny bit better than my stock muffler, but not worth the $850. The Husqvarna representative promised a much better sound with the DB killer removed. Considering the little difference between stock and Akrapovic with DB killers, it would be really interesting to hear the stock muffler without DB killer.

johnlloyd
    Participant

https://leovince.co.uk/2018_B226JH9.aspx

The twin is cheaper and MUCH nicer

Brandon Black
    Participant

It’s not the cheapest option, but I ended up buying the upgraded Akrapovic exhaust slip and drilling that out and I’ve been quite happy with it. The process was about 1hr of work, but you’ll need a pop rivet gun, a drill and something to saw through a small weld.

I originally attempted this same process on the stock exhaust because to be honest, I like the look of the blacked out stock exhaust better, but the sound was just terrible still. The upgraded slip made a big difference and the exhaust note is quite awesome.

You can see a picture of my drilled out exhaust here:

You can hear it on a Malibu canyon run here (4k, 360 degree view):

If you decide to go this route and need pointers on the exhaust modification let me know. I’ll tell you all about my broom handle trick that saved me hours over what other folks had to do. 😀

BigMo
    Participant

It’s done, I made the tool and removed the baffle.

Thomas
    Participant

Old thread, but anyhow….

Brandon – did you remove the DB killer from the stock exhaust as well and compared with the Akrapovic without DB killer? I like the looks of the stock exhaust better and can’t really decide if I want to keep the stock and try to remove the DB killer or if I should get the Akra slip on. Seems easier to remove the DB killer from the Akra, but it is quite expensive and in my opinion not as good looking. I rode a Vitpilen 701 with the Akra fitted and couldn’t really notice any significant difference in sound compared with the stock exhaust, with DB killer still in on both.

M
    Participant

Based off Big Mo’s post I did this mod to remove the baffle it is a great mod.
    I like many people like the design execution of the Vitpilen so wanted to keep the stock muffler

I had a mate who’s a fabricator (he use to build WRC cars for Citroen and hand built a 205 T16 for Sebastian Loeb) make me a hole saw

The result is a bike that is as loud as my 790 with an akra pipe. I think a mid 80’sdb volume.
    loud enough people can hear you but not so loud that the neighbours will call the cops (that’s what my Bimota’s for = )

If any one in Sydney want to cut it out drop me a line as my mate made me a very high quality tool and it only puts up a fight for 2 minutes. You’ll need a die grinder to finish it up but it’s is a easy cheap way to sound good and keep the bike looking like the concept bike

SpeedHoles
    Participant

Wish this were easier to accomplish without fabricating a one time use tool.

Max Kool
    Participant

@SpeedHoles If you have an Akrapovic exhaust it’s actually very simple. One hole in the exact right spot and out it comes.

And the sound is 100% better sans db killer.

SpeedHoles
    Participant

@Max Kool, no I was wondering about the stocker silencer as shown in this thread.
    The lines of the stock can really grew on me, it fits the design of the bike very well. But just weighs a lot, and too quiet.

I have the Akra header, not the slip-on.
    I also have the Comp Werkes slip-on, but it is not compatible with the Akra header…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.