Not charging

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mech
    Participant

Just picked up my vit 401, took it out for a ride yesterday, and after about an hour it stalled at a light.  Tried to re-start, got the standard dead battery solenoid click, push-started the bike, and began getting low battery warnings on the dash.  Made it back to my shop, bike clearly is not charging.  anyone have any ideas?  The positive terminal on my battery was loose, but tightening it up did not resolve the issue.

ruchikajay
    Participant

Could be a long shot but check under the seat for an unplugged cable. I picked up my Vitpilen with the alternator cable unplugged bizarrely.

Mech
    Participant

Update:  I went through the charging system, and couldn’t find any obvious faults.  after disconnecting/reconnecting the voltage regulator at the connections under the seat, all seems to be well again.  Haven’t had a chance to go ride again yet, will update further once I’ve fully tested it.

Mech
    Participant

And the saga continues.  I’ve been riding to and from work (about a mile or so) and around town, and everything’s seemingly been fine, well, until this morning.  Fired the bike up, made it to work, parked it, and when I went to re-start it to pull into my shop, clickclickclick flat battery AGAIN.  Will go through the charging system again and try to narrow down why it’s doing this, I don’t have any confidence in taking a longer ride at this point as obviously there’s something more than a fluke occurrence going on here.

Participant

It’s possible the battery has been permanently damaged from the loose connection you found. I would get it tested and/or simply take it back to the dealer and get it replaced.

Anonymous

Hi Mech,

Sounds like what happened to mine, it was the starter solenoid. A quick 20 minute job to change at the dealers (if it’s still under warranty.)

Good luck finding the problem.

Mech
    Participant

I found the culprit!  At least I’m pretty damn certain I have.  In the course of re-diagnosing this issue, I noticed that if I pulled upwards on the pigtail between the main harness and the voltage regulator/rectifier, I would regain charging, and if I let go of it and let it hang I would once again lose all charging.  Decided to pull the regulator out from under the tail where it’s mounted, and discovered that the ground wasn’t tight.  Looks like someone cross threaded the ground bolt when it was assembled, leaving both the main battery ground and regulator ground just sorta loosely hanging on the bolt, although the bolt itself felt like it was tight.  So I pulled the bolt, cleaned up the threads, fortunately I was able to salvage the hardware, and got it all back together.  Now it’s charging a steady 14.18-14.20 which is the highest I’ve seen out of it, ever.  So hopefully that’s the end of this saga, it certainly makes sense that a loose ground would be the source of an intermittent no start/no charge issue.  I will try and add some photos once I get a chance to crop them to a reasonable size

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Mech.
    andy
    Participant

have the same issue on my 701, will check if this is the cause

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.