Normal?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Myel
    Participant

Good evening,
    Is it normal for my collector to turn red after 1 or 2 minutes maximum (motorcycle idling).
    I had never seen this before but this is the first time I start it at night, it intrigues me.
    Thank you

Bonsoir,
    Es normal que mon collecteur deviennent rouge au bout 1 ou 2 minutes maximum ?( moto au ralenti).
    Je m’étais jamais aperçu de cela avant mais là c’est la première fois que je la démarre de nuit, cela m’intrigue.
    Merci

pot

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by Myel.
    • This topic was modified 3 years ago by Myel.
    Vp-1
    Participant

fuck no!!! something is not rite.

Christopher
    Participant

I’m going to say it’s normal becsuse that’s two of us that see the same awesome glow after just 2 minutes. It’s also typically healthy for a bike to not let it idle for too long.

TC
    Participant

It is not good. You’ll  burn the valve heads. The bike needs to be moving for the cooling system to work properly so don’t leave it idling. It does state this in the manual.

The fueling might be too lean so you might want to get it checked out by your dealer -could be a defunct sensor.

jecnak
    Participant

Same on mine 701. As there is oxygen sensor I assume we have faulty one or it is supposed to be so. I will definitely contact dealer.

jecnak
    Participant
    TC
    Participant

Where are you guys from with glowing headers pipes? Are you all USA?

jecnak
    Participant

I’am from Czech. 701 runs on 95 octane fuel. New bike with only 1600km

Fredstro
    Participant

Hi! I had the same thing happen to my Vitpilen 701 after going for an half hour run and parking it, although it was not glowing quite as bright as in Christophers picture. Im in Norway, and this happened on a cold evning (about 6C°), i just got the bike and i only had a few runs before winter came. So now im wondering what to expect next summer when its 25C° outside. 😅

Bill
    Participant

Same on my 701 after 1 or 2 minutes. When i run the collector keep red to.

Même constat avec ma 701 apres 1 ou 2 minutes. En roulant le collecteur reste rouge. Possible problème de richesse, ou soupape defectueuse. Cela donne l’impression que la combustion se poursuit dans le collecteur.

Razvan Turtureanu
    Participant

Hi! My Vitpilen 701 is the 2019 model, and it has 2 km on the ODO (it’s new). I’m live in Bucharest, and it’s cold now here… and it still glows… I’m really worried in the summer (35 C) at a stop light :)…

Regards.

TC
    Participant

It won’t do that so much in warmer air.

Cold air is denser which creates a lean fuel mixture = hotter running. This, in addition to thin single wall header tubing and you’ll see it glow.

These engines are tuned to run lean from the factory anyway to meet emissions standards and the cold weather is making it leaner. If the bike is running it should also be moving.

Razvan Turtureanu
    Participant

I understand how air temperature and density work, but doesn’t the ECU compensate for this by injecting more fuel, to be able to keep a 14.7% fuel mixture?

TC
    Participant

As far as I understand it the ECU does not manage the idle and then the ECU map switches to gear map when in gear. Which is why in the manual it says do not leave on idle.

TC
    Participant

Also, I guess why the manual says, if the engine is warm (say the bike stalled) don’t put it in neutral. You should just keep it in gear and use the clutch and start it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.