Noises and chain adjustment

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi!

I just had my first trip (ever) on a mc with my newly purchased  2018 Vitpilen 701. Fun like hell 😀

I have adjusted the chain to a approx. 5 mm tension, but after a run the chain gets very tight. After a little stop, the chain seems to be ok again. Is there a special way to adjust this? I also noticed a clicking sound when I’m moving the bike in natural with the engine off. Same sound regardless of direction. Is this a normal sound on a mc?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by AvatarElipsen.
    Participant

Do you really mean 5 mm, from “top to bottom” position?

Participant

No, 5mm from “neutral position” and upwards 🙂

NampusNampus
    Participant

@Elipsen: I would start by reading the manual, and then adjusting the tension to the recommended tension.

Sounds like you’ve got it way to tight which in time will absolutely nacker your outputshaft bearing.

According to the manual: bike on a rear stand, rotate the wheel and check at which point the chain is tightest.

At that point, push the chain upwards underneath the vertical rib in the swingarm. Distance between swingarm and chain should be 5mm.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by NampusNampus.
    Participant

If you meassure from center position and up or down, 5mm is very very tight and will cause you problems over time. The lifespan of the chain will decrease and you might even damage axle for the front sprocket if you have bad luck, let it looser according to the post obve thi, according to the manual.

Participant

Thank you, folks for your kind help! I must have totally misunderstood the user manual… I’ll give it another try shortly. About the strange sound; do you think this I connected to the tight chain? Luckily I haven’t driven many miles with this tension 🙂

Participant

I think you misunderstood the good advice from Nampus…  if you adjust (as per manual) to a 5mm “gap” between top of lower chain and underside of swing-arm, you will effectively get about 25mm actual chain slack, which is about normal.  The HQV method is just a different way of achieving this, and ensuring the chain does not hit the swingarm.

Participant

Sorry to intrude on this old topic, but for the life of me, i can’t get this to work…

I adjusted my chain on my 401 svart to the manual specs, there is approximately 5mm between the swingarm and the top of the chain. However, the total chain slack from when i move the chain up and down to their respective extremes, is also only about 5mm. The chain feels very tight and does make uncomfortable noises when driving. To get a normal chain slack of around 25mm, the chain “gap” would have to go into negative.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

I know nothing about the 401, what does the owner’s manual say?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.