New Vit701 owner

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    RiapaxRiapax
    Participant

Just purchased my 2019 Vitpilen 701 from Central Florida powersports in Kissimmee, Florida on 12/26/2020. It required my girlfriend and I driving about 6 hours to go pick it up but the bike is so well worth the drive. My previous motorcycles have been a 2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R, a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa and a few of my father’s Harley-Davidsons and choppers. I will admit, I am probably too big for this bike at 6’8 tall but the fact of the matter, that did not bother me. Since the concept,  have loved the design of this bike. It has been my dream bike since 2017.

The Above photos are from the trip on the way, back to Atlanta with it and the morning after. It was about 30 degrees on the day after Christmas by the time my girlfriend and I got back to ATL with the 701 but I didn’t give a damn. I rolled the bike off of the back of the truck and rode it around the neighborhood at 10pm. I was amazed with the lighting output of the LED headlamp especially compared to the aftermarket unit in my other bike, a 2012 Ducati 848 EVO. I was also pleasantly surprised to find out that the Vitpilen has a quick shifter and an auto blip downshifter. I have rear conflicting reports that some of the mid year 2019 build Vits did not have that feature.

On the first 50 degree day after that, I was able to gear up and get out for a 30 minute ride before a doctors appointment. I was immediately enthralled with this thing. The sound, the riding position, the design and even the comfort. Though they are compact, the Vitpilen seems to have tall (European) riders in mind. the rider triangle is decent and the rear to the handlebars was very welcoming compared to my 848. Making a couple of stops here and there, I noticed that the Husky gets a lot more looks and questions than the Ducati as well. “Is it electric?” “Is it fast?” “I didn’t know Husqvarna made motorcycles”. Those seemed to be the common questions but for the love of motorcycling, I love to answer questions like these.

After a few weeks of research, the mod bug started. Though not a lot of mods yet, I planned and purchased a few mostly atheistic mods to make the Vit more personalized to my liking. So far, the list are as follows:

– Rage cycles LED front turn signals

-Rage cycles license plate relocator with turn signals

-Oxford bar end mirrors

-Puig aluminum windscreen

Above are a few photos of the final product and I was extremely happy with the outcome. I was a little concern about excessive vibration in the handlebars with the mirrors but I honestly have not noticed any more vibration than before. I was also worried about whistling or excessive wind noise due to the wind screen cowl but none is to be had! Most of all, I am just happy to have got rid of that awful tire hugger plate holder/turn signal setup. I am looking forward to some 55 plus degree days to get some more miles in to at least hit my break in period. A few of the future mod plans are going to be:

-re-worked seat with gel insert with 1 inch rise and brown leatherwork

-have the yellow stripe around the rear of the tank and rear pegs color matched to engine case covers

-leo vince decat and possible slip-ons

-rear seat pillion color matched to the silver on tank

If any of yall have any other suggestions, let me hear them! Below are my two wheeled babies together as of yesterday and a few more of the Duc.

Participant

Excellent!

Plus you’re having fun already, and it’s not even Springtime in Atlanta. I’m writing this from Boston, by the way, 28 degrees today and out for a few miles on my own 2019 Vit 701. Ahhh…

Nice modifications so far, also. Keep sending photos as you continue your adventure.

RiapaxRiapax
    Participant

@jeff thank you so much brother!

Participant

Is it legal to place the license plate there, in the US? It’s like you don’t have any rules. Also Leo Vince don’t make any legal Exhausts here. Can you just put any exhaust on in the US?

RiapaxRiapax
    Participant

First of all, regarding the license plate location, in the past, I have seen riders get pulled over for that particular location of the plate. Having said that, as you can see in the pictures, the plate is relatively easy to see and it is lit via LED’s. On other bikes with similar plate locations, the plates seemed to be caved into the rear fender and unlit which really obstructs the view.

Regarding the Decat, here in Georgia, USA, the government does not do emissions tests on motorcycles where they may do in California (seems like another country than the rest of the US) or other countries. The only issue is if the bike is too loud, you can technically get a noise ordinance citation however, I do not think a decat and even the addition of the slip on on top of that will cause too much noise on this bike. My Ducati 848 has the baffles taken out of the exhaust and a decat and I have never been pulled over. That bike is super loud too.

Participant

Thanks for the information . And nice Vitpilen btw. I’m in Germany. Well I’m actually a Dane but living in Germany and here we have this TÜV every 2 years. In Denmark too. I think in all EU countries actually. You know where they check everything on your motorcycle or car. Do you have that in the US?

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Depending on state, but most don’t. I live in California and no inspections here.

(Not in The Netherlands either btw)

RiapaxRiapax
    Participant

Thank you for the compliment brother. Some states do require a state inspection but Georgia does not require that whatsoever. They probably should though. The amount of cars around here with bald tires is highly alarming!

Participant

Max Kool: I’m not expecting that you can read this but it actually says every 2 years like all other EU countries. 

Participant

Actually it says every year when the vehicle is older than 8 years…. anyway it’s probably good it just ruins a lot of tuning/ styling plans

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

@banjo that’s not for motorcycles.

(Oh, I read Dutch, German and English, I was born in the Netherlands and only moved to the US 7 years ago)

Participant

Ah. Ok. Read it wrong then. I’ve always wanted to go to the Us. Didn’t get further than Germany though…

RiapaxRiapax
    Participant

Update: I will be the first one to tell you that I have never been a huge fan of the fluorescent yellow trim on the Vitpilen. I opted to remove the yellow tank trim and have it colored to match the engine cases/fuel cap/ exhaust trim. I searched through and through to find the correct paint code to match the cases and for the life of me I could not find it.  Being a BMW (car) employee, I remembered a color that closely matched the bronze Vitpilen trim. That color is Sepang Bronze Metallic (a32) After Mixing it and spraying it, I was pleased to see that it is almost dead on. Sepang is just a tad bit darker than the Vit trim but its pretty damn close and I was happy with the outcome. I will post some pictures as I wait for the custom seat to be completed in the second week of February.

I didnt photograph it, but I was also able to paint the yellow trim on the pass rear foot pegs in the same color Bronze. came out pretty good.

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

I like it

RiapaxRiapax
    Participant

@Max Kool Thanks brother. I actually saw that your bike has a silver tank cover which I really like as well. The setup on yours is clean.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.