New rider first bike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Everyone

Ready to get my first bike and Im trying to get the vitpilen for the capacity and slipper clutch.  I heard it has a quick shifter two.  I don’t know if its cus of Covid but they won’t budge on the MRSP and add freight on top.  Im getting quotes between $5900-6300 for the 401.  Im noticing the Indian one isn’t that great.  Made by bajaj.  I looking forward to getting the bike and doing that reverse polarity mod and others.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by AvatarLacsaxis.
    Participant

Participant

Hi, I am not sure where you live but if you are in the U.S., if that is the out the door price, that is not too bad when you factor in tax, title, freight. You will likely find about the same if you went to another dealer for like a new Ninja 400 which has a similar MSRP around $5000. I have the 2020 model which was made in India, and have not had any problems. They have been churning out the Duke 390s there like crazy for years and they have a pretty good reputation. They are still using the same parts, it is just assembled where labor cost is cheaper which is why they were able to lower the MSRP to a more competitive $5k. I hear they use more regular bolts and hex instead of torx like on the Austrian ones, but you gain adjustable front forks, and quick shifter, and a slightly longer seat. I exhaust is routed differently, instead of wrapping around the cylinder it goes out the front and under the bike, probably to address heat issues some were having, though you lose some ground clearance if you were getting a svart to do some off roading. Good luck, with the purchase of your first bike, whatever you choose.

Participant

Thank you so much for your reply.  Found a lot of good resources on her and your advice made me pull the trigger.    Im in NH so no taxes.  I got it for around $5800 out the door. I tried to get the tail tidy but that’s back ordered might do the trex or reveille but that’s like $200.  Thanks again.

Participant

Nice, enjoy! The only modifications I have made to so far are a slip on exhaust, bar end mirrors, and a usb outlet. I am still looking for a solution for a tail tidy myself. You have to be mindful on  2020+ plus models because turn signals have already been relocated to under the tail where I would like to keep them and rather not move them on to the tail tidy bracket. I might end up doing a swing arm mount. projektracing.com has a nice billet aluminum one, though it is still pricey at $150. He is also going to release a track fairing kit that has a similar look to the 401 Aero concept, for pictures of the development he has a Instagram under the same name. If you are looking for something cheap there are universal type options on Amazon and eBay that can be made to work if you are willing to make some modifications. I have considered making my own from sheet metal. You just have to be careful of the travel of the swing arm does not cause your rear tire to contact the plate over big bumps.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by AvatarStillLife.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by AvatarStillLife.
    Participant

Which bar ends did you get?  Thanks will keep an eye our for the projectracing

Participant

Participant

FENRIR CNC Aluminum Alloy Cafe Racer Black Motorcycle Bar End Mirrors Side Folding 22MM 7/8″ inch

I got these from Amazon, they fit the 2020 on up that has the threaded centers in the bars from factory. You will need to add a washer on the throttle side to be sure there is no interference with your grips. No big deal. Over all  they are decent and the price is right. I  also feel the angular design fits the Vitpilen better then round ones, but that is just my opinion. I used a small amount of the blue lock-tite on all threaded parts. A little fiddly to initially get set the way you want them, but once you do they are fine.

Participant

Thanks. I got the Fenrir as you recommend will see what the tail tidy brings.

Participant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.