New owner’s questions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello. I got Vitpilem 701 (2018) as my first bike. Do not have a lot of experience in motorcycle world, but so far – love this bike. Must say that its one of the most beutiful bikes in the market!  Some things i would like to get answers on… Low rpm’s. What is the solution to get beter performance on low rpms? I have seen there are things called booster plug… Is it worth? And is there any solutoon to make smoother switch to 1st gear? Its not switching smooth – it seems that clutch is not working properly – you can hear gears hitting when switch to 1st gear. Hope You get an idea.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by AvatarJS71.
    Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

Ok  hello, welcome to Vitpilen 701!

Stock these bikes don’t like to run smoothly under 3500 rpm. On top of that, they’re geared overly long…making city traffic a punishment.

Luckily, easily fixed:

– install a Rottweiler Fuel dongle, overriding the signal from the O2 sensor, or a Kevmod O2 mod. I have a Rottweiler dongle which works fine. Removed the jerkyness at low rpms.
    – Remove the airbox cover, this makes the engine breathe better at mid rpms. With lean it off but will add significant midrange torque
    -lastly but most important, change the front and/or rear sprocket. The stock 16-40 is overly long. Change that to 15-42 and your bike becomes a dream in any kind of traffic. This alone adds 10% torque in any gear. Nearly feels like cheating.

Good luck!

Participant

Thank You very much. Seems that people here are really into their bikes – respect for that.

What about that 1st gear? is it normal that it “kicks” when i  put it 1st gear. Feeling is that clutch is not fully pulled. Is there a chance to adjust clutch and/or gearbox so the switching to 1st would be smooth?

Participant

Normal MC behaviour that you get a bit of a sound and slight jerk when shifting from neutral to first. Nothing to worry about.

Participant

Ok, thanks, got an idea.

At first – ordered fuel dongle. Will see what happens when Husky gets paired with Rotweiler 😂

David BrazilDavid Brazil
    Participant

Do the gearing change. You will not regret it.

Participant

Does it include chain change or just sprocket? If i for example go front 1 tooth down do i have to change the chain? And if i go -1/+1 whats the situation there?

Participant

You can get away with stock chain when dropping a tooth on the front sprocket. I personally think 15:40 is the sweet spot, 15:42 felt a little bit too restrictive top end.

Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Got my first problem with my Pilen. Clutch went off. So i assume its slave cylinder – lots of posts about this problem. What would You suggest? Put Oberon slave cylinder and forget all the problems? Try to renew this one (if i understand correctly then there is a repair kit avilable)? Other options? No waranty – 2018 bike. 6000km on the odo. 500 mine
    Thanks in advance.</p>

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by AvatarJS71.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by AvatarJS71.
    SvePilSvePil
    Participant

By a Oberon or other similar slave, change engine oil, throw your old slave in garage bin.

Participant

…hello guys; cannot get it; you have a great road bike and want to slow it down! Makes no sense; then when you are familiar with the bike and would do some road trips with other bikes you will see that those silly changes would not so good.

Tuning an engine is a compromise; thanks that these are DOHC; Husqvarna tuned them to have great speed on the road and that is the funny part and useful. To only use a bike into a city limits is WAY better to have smaller bikes. Do you think that is good to have a powerful sports bike (like a ninja 1000) to ride only in a city?

In that precise case bikers buy bikes like Triumph thruxtons that have torque in almost all the stages.

For the town the bike is the new 125 or 200; for a city, the 250; for a big city and also you can take the road; the 401.

Participant

This post is amazing.  Imagine being able to ride at full throttle in top gear all the time.  You must take an autobahn everywhere.

I rarely use 200kmh on my bike.  So like every race bike I’ve ever had, and other road bikes too, I changed the sprockets to suit the way I use it.  The ‘Pilen 701s are city bikes.  I think I if I wanted to set a land speed record I’d use something else.

Participant

Word…. As this is my first bike, not sure yet what is the best bike for me, not saying that its Pilen… Just trying to make my riding more comfortable in the way i use it. Will not go to autobahns with it, so top speed definetely is not an option i would like to go  right now. Some day maybe :). Then i will use other modifications or other bike. Everyone has is riding opinion here and thats great… im looking for mine….

Participant

I can’t do the 200 km/h where I live. If I would like to do the 200 km/h I would never buy a naked bike. The most fun I have with the SP 701 is on twisty roads where you’re rarely much faster than 100 km/h. To get there I have to cross the city with annoying speed limits of 30 and 50 km/h. With the 701 engine character the gearing is always little too low or little too high. To overcome this I’m considering a 15T front sprocket. The resulting max. speed of 188 km/h shouldn’t be a problem as long reverb is doing the 160 km/h on his 401. 😉

Has anyone with the 15T sprocket recognized more wear on the chain sliding protection?

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

“…hello guys; cannot get it; you have a great road bike and want to slow it down! Makes no sense; then when you are familiar with the bike and would do some road trips with other bikes you will see that those silly changes would not so good.”

You’re actually making your bike faster with shorter gearing. The stock gearing is too long, making the 6th an overdrive. At 15-42 a Vit 701 still tops out at over 120mph (I never tried anything beyond 120mph). Call them silly changes, in this case it makes for a better ride at any speed. Both city traffic, canyons, country lanes or freeway as long as you stay below 110mph ish. If I wanted a bahnburner I would have chosen a different motorcycle.

Question to @reverb , have you actually tried lower gearing on your 701?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.