New bike seat ideas

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

I don’t ride as often as I wish due to work but when I do I’m out 9am to like 5pm with a few breaks in between. Not going to lie, my ass cheeks are in bits around mid afternoon.

I found a very nice upholsterer who displays their work and has quoted £180 to undo the staples and stick gel pads under the seat and reupholster in vinyl (I’m thinking leather doesn’t weather with water Well?) in a nice diamond pattern.

Anyway that’s them: https://www.saddlecraft.co.uk/

I think the cost of the job is acceptable But basically I’m writing for advice on style or comments or any watch outs that I’m overlooking as I’ve never done this sort of thing before. I’m not too bothered about water proofing as I wouldn’t deliberately go out in the rain.

Thanks for you input!

mitchotmitchot
    Participant

I have not done this myself yet either but interested in how you go and others opinions. Good luck!

Participant

Cheers man – will likely do it during non riding season (for me at least) possibly November. Nice that the seat comes off clean so can just send them that.

We’ll see if others in the know have some input by then.

QwandreeQwandree

I redid my 701 seat in leather last winter, and had gel put in during that. I think i posted pix on here somewhere if you want to see what it looks like. Looks great and is definitely more comfortable, but because the 701 seat is so slim it only accommodates a small gel pad (less than you can put in other seats).

For instance my I redid my thuxton seat with gel a couple years ago, and it’s definitely more comfortable but it also has more padding in general.

NampusNampus
    Participant

I wear a set of bike shorts under my leather, makes the bike all day comfy for me 👍🏻

mitchotmitchot
    Participant

Hey Dan, you still looking into your options? Interested in the outcome.

Qwandree I just seen a photo of yours on another post, loving it! Nice job on that mate, you finding it more comfortable still after some time riding on it? Did you get the gel put in by the mob you did the seat for you, or did you source it yourself?

QwandreeQwandree

It’s definitely more comfortable for me than stock. I had the leather guy put in the gel. They specialize in motorcycle seats and know what they were doing (and said it was tricky to get in gel inserts with the seat depth, but they got it to work).

mitchotmitchot
    Participant

Yeah right I reckon it would have been tricky with the seat profile.

How long did they have your seat for?

I will have to start snooping around for any businesses that do it here in Aus 👍

Participant

honestly seems like a gimmick, i feel like just wearing gel shorts will have the same effect.

QwandreeQwandree

@mitchot I think about a week. Don’t really remember tbh

mitchotmitchot
    Participant

Fair enough no worries.

@Andy – A new seat for comfort/style reasons doesn’t seem like a gimmick to me? I ride to work most days and don’t really want to bother wearing gel shorts under my clothing, to be taken off and on each time I ride.

Participant

@mitchot it just seems like unnecessary tbh, doubt 1cm of gel will make the ride more comfortable. the ride is already comfortable as is.. personally i came from a grom before that was just brutal, this bike stock is 1,000,000x more comfortable.

however if ya really wanna do it, go for it. let us know if it really improves the ride.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.