My favourite mod

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa
    Participant

Out of all the changes and additions I make to my bikes, this one is always my favourite. As none of my bikes (including my SP401 of course) don’t have the option of cruise control, relaxing my grip on the throttle when riding on highways at more-or-less constant speeds is not really possible. As I have joint pain in my hands and fingers, it quickly gets uncomfortable to grip the throttle constantly. This cheap little £1.99 plastic ‘throttle paddle’ is an absolute godsend, I relax my grip and maintain throttle openings by resting the palm of my hand on the ‘paddle’. Best mod ever!

JordanJordan
    Participant

@Vanessa Does this throttle paddle bother you at all around town in stop and go? It almost looks like it’s set far enough out to not notice it much unless you widen your grip? I don’t do too much highway riding but for a cheap clip on mod, it seems like it could be nice.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

@Jordan No it doesn’t cause me any problems around town. As you’ve noticed it’s positioned right at the end of the grip, and my small hands can grip and twist the throttle as normal by using the inner part of the grip. Then just move my hand outwards slightly and I can rest my palm on the paddle for when I’m cruising on faster main roads. I absolutely love it, and have the exact same one on my MT-07. But my husband hates it and finds the bike unridable with the paddle in place. But at only £1.99 it’s cheap enough to try out and if you hate it, it’s no big loss.

mitchotmitchot
    Participant

What a great idea. I don’t do alot of highway travelling but on long trips I’ll keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing.

batoubatou
    Participant

super merci

JordanJordan
    Participant

@Vanessa Thanks for the info. I found a couple types for sale that look even slimmer which might be less noticeable around town. I’ll order one soon. I have a 16 tooth front sprocket on the way to make highway speeds a little easier so this would be a nice addition with that.

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

No problem, hope it helps you.

You are right in that there are many different variations on this simple idea, in different sizes too. Just make sure you get the right size for your grip diameter. The one I fitted to my MT-07 has a smaller paddle, and as my hands are small, I thought I’d try a larger paddle size on my SP401. They both work fine, although I do like the larger one a bit more.

I’m going to fit a larger rear sprocket soon (at the first service) to hopefully make my slow speed commuting and filtering (Lane splitting) easier, as at present 1st gear is too short yet 2nd gear too tall for easy filtering.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.