Motogadget Motoscope Pro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    monkeynutsmonkeynuts
    Participant

Ive been having lots of restless nights thinking about how I can fit and get the Motoscope Pro speedo installed and working on the Vitpilen 701, As I know nothing about Can Bus I had to keep the original speedo on the bike, the following is what I’ve been unto so far !

new dash strip down-Socket removed from the rear with cables soldered direct to the rear of the display. This reduced the depth of the display by about 20mm to allow me to fit it in a new case !The case is nearly finished, the total depth is 22mm, with three push buttons to allow operation of the dash functions. The reason for keeping the dash is so that I can get feeds from the LED’s on the display. ABS, TC, neutral, engine fault and immobiliser. I’m also installing 2 push buttons next to the new dash to enable me to disable the ABS and TC.

The dash is going to be slipped down in the space made by fitting a lithium battery.

One problem I have had is that the new dash will be wired up with the Breakout box B, this needs a 12v signal for the error display and a neutral switch contact for indication of the gearbox being in neutral. The LED voltage is about 1.6v with what I presume is a PWM output of 500Hertz, the PWM output caused another problem in that the voltage that the 12v miniature relays were getting was only 6v, installing the capacitors rectified this problem and gave me the desired 12v to activate the miniature relays, I now have 2 relays with an isolated output one 12v output and a neutral output.  The small PCB is what I came up with, it has a PhotoMos relay, this takes the feed from the LED,s and gives me the feed to operate the miniature relays. I also covered the PCB with lacquer to hell keep the moisture out. 

I cut open the wiring loom to relocate the original speedo supply plug under the gas tank. Trust me when I say that the wiring is a real rats nest of cables all crossing over, I had to cut quite a few cable, untangle them, take feeds from the loom for the Breakout box before re wrapping the loom.

The headlight mask/speedo holder cut-up with a blank covering the hole, just need to make a SS bracket to mount the new dash, two push buttons and three LEDs for ABS, TC, and immobiliser .

monkeynutsmonkeynuts
    Participant

Disappointing news today, got to wait a few weeks for display to arrive !

SvePilSvePil
    Participant

Interesting tread. Will be following this projekt. Not guite shure here but are you stuffing the old display under your seat and from there feed the motoscope display on the handlebar?

monkeynutsmonkeynuts
    Participant

The case with the old display slips down in the space made by fitting the lithium battery. It is all coming together very nicely, would be better if Motogadget made a display that would connect up to the original Can-bus system, but they have confirmed that they have nothing to enable this.

The new loom from the original display goes to the R/H side of the bike where the ECU is located, this is where the breakout Box and my PCB will be located, the new display cable will connect unto the Breakout box there too.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by monkeynutsmonkeynuts.
    SvePilSvePil
    Participant

Ok. hope you get it all together and working. Somtimes i miss the old days before all the mumbo jumbo went in.

monkeynutsmonkeynuts
    Participant

The Motogadget Motoscope Pro dash arrived today. Mounting bracket made with push buttons for TC & ABS, LED’s for TC, ABS and the immobiliser pope in place to get a look at what it may end up looking like !

The dash was supplied by Simon @ Bikermart.

SvePilSvePil
    Participant

Hello Monkeynuts

Any progress in your projekt?

monkeynutsmonkeynuts
    Participant

Having a small problem with the unit not showing any temperature readings, looks like it is a problem with the breakout box, just waiting for a replacement unit to arrive, other than that, I’ve had it working just fine. As soon as I receive and fit the replacement, I will get some more info on here.

SvePilSvePil
    Participant

Ah ok. looking forward to see the result.

LMSpilenLMSpilen
    Participant

I am also following your project closely. Please keep us posted!!!

monkeynutsmonkeynuts
    Participant

I also have say a big Thank you to Simon at Bikermart, always very helpful and very good at getting back to me when chasing things up.

He has supplied me with the ABM bar convention kit and the Motogadget Dash and Breakout box and sensors.

monkeynutsmonkeynuts
    Participant

Thought I would pass on some other information about the fuel level sensor and pump.

when I was performing the low level setting for the new speedo, the sensor doesn’t start giving out any readings until there is about 3 litres of fuel in the tank, so when the old display would register that the tank was empty, we all had at lest 3 litres of fuel left in there !

when removing the fuel pump, it has a 4 pin plug on it, only 2 of the pins are used. When the pump is removed from the tank, you can see 2 spare pins in the base that will take some 3mm spade connectors, this could be a second option for fitting a different level sensor in the tank !

if I can think of any other thing that I found, I will post them.

monkeynutsmonkeynuts
    Participant

Its all installed and working, just need to take the bike out for a ride to set up the gear indication .

The features I have on the new dash-

Speed, revs on the bar graph and a numerical display if required, clock, volts, fuel level in percentage, oil temp, water temp, air temp.

There are other features available if you want to be able to display them !

More pictures attached.

Size difference.

Original dash shown over the top of the case for the hidden dash.

Dash show side on to the case.

Dash shown in the case.

Dash sowed away by the battery.

Water and oil temperature sensors.

The water sensor is housed in a 28mm inline sensor adaptor, the case has a cable to the bike ground with the sensor cable going back to the Breakout box. The oil sensor is tapped into the oil filter cover, I had to dismantle the motogadgets sensor that has a body that is about 25mm in length, and transplant the internal sensor into another sensor body that is about 15mm in length. Im not happy about the thickness of the metal of filter cover, so I have a filter cover from SM projects, this has a much thicker body that I will modify to encase the oil temp sensor. That is a later project.

The Breakout box and my relay PCB are slipped down behind the ABS pump, both have been sealed in a heat shrink sheath after applying ACF50 grease to all of the terminals.

Im very happy with the end result definitely tidying up the front of the bike, the other push buttons all operate great, allowing me to switch off the TC and ABS if required.

I also got hold of a L/H switch cluster from a KTM Duke 690, lengthened the cables by 150mm, fitted the push button for the motogadgets dash to the switch cluster and I now have the option of a flash switch too.

Note that one of the cables in the cluster loom needs connecting upto one of the other cables to allow the pass switch to operate.

I always thought that the L/H cluster didn’t match the R/H switch cluster, It does now !

monkeynutsmonkeynuts
    Participant

Got around to modifying the SM project oil filter cover to hold the temperature sensor.

First I had to make a 10mm plug to fit in the internal part of the cover before drilling the outer part to hold the sensor internal components.

monkeynutsmonkeynuts
    Participant

Had the bike out a couple of times now, first time when the bike was under full load and when the tacko got to bout 7k rpm the tacko would drop to zero. My suspicion was that the outer plug that the tacko feed was connected up to was dropped under full load. Back to the garage to change the feed to the inner plug feed.
    bike was taken out again for testing and all was fine. Everything works spot on , no yogurt pot speedo to look at anymore ☺️

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.