Modifications? Single side swing arm and fairings

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all – glad to have found this forum

Had a variety of bikes in the past, but miss my old single so have been having a look about and came across the Vitpilen 701.  I really like the bike, reviews sound brilliant, and am considering one to turn into a little ‘supermono’ type sports bike – though have never done anything like this before so curious if any of you have done similar modifications?

I’d want to add a single side swing arm – is that possible does anyone know?  Would anything from another bike fit or would it be a horrendous job?

Also would like full fairings – ideally from a Ducati 748 or perhaps RS250 – no idea what would fit so again has anyone done this?  Also would it cause problems with engine cooling as it has been designed to be fairly naked?  I have seen the ‘aero’ version of the bike and it’s not for me I’m afraid

Cheers

Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

If you’re smart enough and have a good shop you can change everything. Single sided swingarm, fairing etc. Not every modification is an improvement though 😉

I don’t expect a fairing to add cooling problems, the front of a fairing is always open for the radiator…

Participant

I think the best thing would be for you to buy a ducati and put on the vitpilen jumpsuit

VanessaVanessa
    Participant

😀

stroemstroem
    Participant

Sounds like you bought the wrong bike.

You should just get a 748, they are appreciating in value.

Here are fairings on a Duke 690, the Husky’s sister bike

Participant

Thanks for the helpful replies.  Max, if money was no object for sure anything can be done, would be nice to be in that position lol but hopefully will find a few examples of mods

Stroem, thanks for the picture, that does look cool.  To be honest I’m just dreaming at the moment, would prefer full fairings and just curious if anyone had done it already.  I’ve had a Ducati in the past and loved it, but after a single cylinder again.

Not bought a Vitpilen (yet?), will get a test ride when lockdown eases.. I have a feeling I’ll really like it

Thanks again

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by AvatarSkyUk.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by AvatarSkyUk.
    Max KoolMax Kool
    Participant

You’re just hoping to find a single sided swingarm that just happens to fit 😉

ps, I don’t think it’s about money, it’s more about being resourceful, and talented handy. Some guys just start doing stuff and two years later they have a beautiful bike.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Max KoolMax Kool.
    Participant

Maybe I should find a forum focused on the Vitpilen 701 and ask there… That seems a sensible start? 🤷‍♂️😂

stroemstroem
    Participant

This is as focused as you are going to get, the only other place to ask is a KTM forum.

stroemstroem
    Participant

It is probably more cost effective to start with a Duke 690, you are paying a premium for the styling of the 701, which you want to replace with new fairings anyway. Here is guy that fit a Ducati Monster S2R swing arm to a 690 Duke

https://www.bikeexif.com/custom-ktm-duke-690

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by stroemstroem.
    Participant

That’s really interesting, thanks very much 👍

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.