Maybe I'm going to sell my Svartpilen 401

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar stroem 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I just started thinking that I might rather have the KTM Duke 390. The 2019 looks as though they have resolved some of the quality control issues.

My biggest disappointments with the 401 are:  Instrumentation sucks, fuel capacity sucks.

The only other thing is the bike looks to be a poser.

I think I am more serious than that.

Any thoughts.

stroem
    Participant

If you are feeling bored with the bike, turn the ABS off and hit some dirt/gravel trails.

Anonymous

Thanks for your perspective. I really don’t think this Svartpilen 401 could handle dirt or gravel or crossing even a dry creek bed. It might be OK on nicely graded access roads…maybe. But not ruts. And of course, the bike doesn’t have the range to go very far afield anyway.

No, I am not at all bored. I love the bike in many ways. I have great country, mountain twisty roads here in British Columbia, Canada. No, the point isn’t boredom.

But it’s generally the same feelings I have for the Distinguished Gentlemen’s Ride (DGR). It is for a good cause; but it’s for posers. And that’s what the Svartpilen 401 seems like. Just a pose.

For example, the cool looking rack on the tank is entirely useless – but looks cool. The instrument display is cool to look at when you are walking around the bike. But when riding, any sunshine or glare makes the thing useless. But it looks nice. The plastic…well there is a lot of it.

I’m seeing if I could get a fair price for the bike. If I can, then I think I may go with the KTM Duke 390 or the Suzuki SV650…

stroem
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Go to about 5 minutes into this video https://youtu.be/kBwgM6DITPs</p&gt;
    And read this

Rider Report

Anonymous

Thanks for the reminder of the Rider Report. The bike did/will do alright.

Thearrowisblack
    Participant

“the bike looks to be a poser”

You think you’re more serious then that?

and you’re asking for feedback?

Here’s mine…I think that’s the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard.

Freccia-nera
    Participant

Not going to go into the semantics of whether this bike is a poser or not, but there are two things you said that I’d like to argue with :

1. the “cool looking rack” isn’t entirely useless, as a matter of fact I use it to secure my 30 liters tank bag on the bike. It’s very convenient, I use two self-locking bungee cords (https://images.app.goo.gl/nE21WR256u59hVUW7) to attach the bag (Kappa  Ra315BK) to the rack. When I need to refill the tank I just undo one of them and flip the bag over to access the tank. I’ve used it also to carry other stuf (helmet, packs) always using bungee cords, works fine. I’ve ridden more than 3000 kms with this setup trouble free. And also offroad, which brings me to my second point :

2. this bike is more offroad capable than what you seem to think. Did you ever ride it offroad ? Because you wrote ” I really don’t think this Svartpilen 401 could handle dirt or gravel or crossing even a dry creek bed. It might be OK on nicely graded access roads…maybe” which really sounds like you haven’t even given it a try. I’ve ridden it up and down much rougher terrain than “graded access roads”, I’ve even ridden it through creek beds that weren’t dry 😉 The Svart can’t be compared to an MX or a particularly offroad capable trail bike either obviously, but you can definitely ride it offroad. You’ll have to ride slower and with more caution than on an enduro/trail, but the terrain will be all the more challenging and your riding skills put to a test. I’ve had a lot of fun on it offroad and for a bike that is so well rounded on the streets/asphalt I think it achieves a very satisfactory offroad capability. There’s a topic on this forum about riding the svart offroad btw, and you can find several reviews and videos highlighting this aspect of the bike’s “personality”.

On a personal note, the Duke 390 is truly a very ugly bike, and a world sets them appart IMHO, so not sure how someone who’d find the Svart good looking would also consider the Duke as an acceptable aesthetic hypothesis for a two wheeled engine. Disclaimer : except for their MX/enduro bikes, I find all KTM fugly as hell, and their orange/white/black color scheme really doesn’t do much for me.

Still, you should ride a bike that you’re really in tune with, so if there’s something about this bike that you don’t like, you’re right to consider other options.

Thearrowisblack
    Participant

I smell a troll

itsnicho
    itsnicho
    Participant

@stroem how do you turn off abs?

stroem
    Participant

It’s in the owners manual. You push the unmarked button on the dash and one of the other ones, if I recall correctly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.